[time-nuts] Adoption of revision of the SI at CGPM #26
Magnus Danielson
2018-11-17 01:41:37 UTC
Fellow time-nuts,

For those of you that follow the news, you might have heard about the
redefinition of the kilogram. In fact, it's a wider redefinition which
also includes the second among other things.

The Draft Resolution A "On the revision of the International System of
units (SI)" is found here:
https://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/CGPM/Draft-Resolution-A-EN.pdf

This was adopted today, and I would recommend you to watch the
presentations that preceded the actual voting, as live transmitted and
also available for later viewing here:

I could spot at least two people I know in the room, and even more of
them had their name or photo included in the presentations.

The third presentation is on optical clocks, so it is highly relevant to
the list, but I think that all four presentation should be of interest
as it ties things together nicely.

PS. This week my IEEE Senior Member plaque finally came, and as
instructed and insisted by my boss, I hang it up in my office wall.

Cheers,
Magnus

and follow the instructions there.
Poul-Henning Kamp
2018-11-17 21:13:43 UTC
--------
Post by Magnus Danielson
The Draft Resolution A "On the revision of the International System of
https://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/CGPM/Draft-Resolution-A-EN.pdf
I thought Resolution B was much more relevant for us: It defines TAI

https://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/CGPM/Convocation-2018.pdf

(page 34 forwards)
***@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

and follow the instructions there.
Mike Cook
Magnus Danielson
2018-11-17 22:52:11 UTC
Post by Poul-Henning Kamp
--------
Post by Magnus Danielson
The Draft Resolution A "On the revision of the International System of
https://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/CGPM/Draft-Resolution-A-EN.pdf
I thought Resolution B was much more relevant for us: It defines TAI
https://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/CGPM/Convocation-2018.pdf
(page 34 forwards)
Interesting.

It adds TAI alongside UTC, which is practical for many types of methods
of dissemination.

This is what they was trying to fight not long ago.