Just for Fun - Synergy Systems SSR-6T PPS Comparison
David Martin
2012-12-20 06:07:20 UTC
A Day in the Life of Five PPS Sources..

This probably does not qualify as a regular TimeNuts submission as there
are no Tau's or 10^-12ths but I could not resist a simple scope capture of
the Pulse Per Second output of my new SSR-6t toy from Synergy Systems as it
performed its first right-out-of-the box site survey.

See

This is video is a two minute replay of the PPS behavior of two PRS-10s,
two TBolts, and the SSR-6t during it's initial 24 hour site survey.

The scope captured the relationship of all five PPS outputs at one frame
per second. The video clip replays 24 hours of captures at 1000 frames per
second. The whole day's PPS behavior is replayed in under two minutes.

The Scope is externally triggered from a PRS-10 that
is actively disciplined from a TBolt PPS. The Yellow Trace is a second
PRS-10 that is also actively disciplined from the same TBolt. Hence the
trigger point (center of screen) and the Yellow Trace compare the two
PRS-10s that have been running in parallel for a couple of months.

The Magenta Trace and the Blue Trace are two other TBolts. (These traces
have the nice sharp risetime )

Everybody is fed from a common antenna via a mini-circuits splitter.

The Light Blue Trace is the new SSR-6t running in navigation mode. The
spreading of the Light Blue Trace is the usual sawtooth dance that most raw
GPS PPS outputs display -- The playback rate just smears all the individual
sawtooth steps into a pretty waterfall.

This is not intended to be a "scientific" submission but I hope someone
finds it entertaining and enlightening view of the instantaneous PPS
behavior of these devices.

Dave
mike cook
2012-12-20 06:15:31 UTC
Post by David Martin
http://youtu.be/kOG9ImT2lvY
It wouldn't open for me... private
Don Latham
2012-12-20 06:44:01 UTC
Hi David: I got my new SSR-6T today, quite prompt. I can't find a darn
thing about pinout or anything else on the Synergy site, nor can I
produce anything from Boogle. Where did you find the info? I have a call
in to Synergy, but I'm just wondering...
Thanks
Don

David Martin
See http://youtu.be/kOG9ImT2lvY
[...]
and follow the instructions there.
--
"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road
POB 134
Huson, MT, 59846
VOX 406-626-4304
www.lightningforensics.com
www.sixmilesystems.com
David J Taylor
2012-12-20 07:10:51 UTC
Hi David: I got my new SSR-6T today, quite prompt. I can't find a darn
thing about pinout or anything else on the Synergy site, nor can I
produce anything from Boogle. Where did you find the info? I have a call
in to Synergy, but I'm just wondering...
Thanks
Don

Don,

This from Tech Note #493 which I was kindly sent. I would have posted text,
but it's a graphic...

David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor-***@public.gmane.org
David J Taylor
2012-12-20 06:51:14 UTC
A Day in the Life of Five PPS Sources..

This probably does not qualify as a regular TimeNuts submission as there
are no Tau's or 10^-12ths but I could not resist a simple scope capture of
the Pulse Per Second output of my new SSR-6t toy from Synergy Systems as it
performed its first right-out-of-the box site survey.

See http://youtu.be/kOG9ImT2lvY
[]
This is not intended to be a "scientific" submission but I hope someone
finds it entertaining and enlightening view of the instantaneous PPS
behavior of these devices.

Dave
=====================================

Played perfectly here, Dave. Many thanks for a most interesting comparison!

(My SSR-6t is on route from the USA, and I have two Trimble Resolution SMTs
which are timing GPSs, and Sure Electronics boards which claim timing like
accuracy. I'm limited by having only two channels on the 'scope!).

Are you going to try the same with the SSR-6t in timing mode?

Cheers,
Gabs Ricalde
2012-12-20 07:07:25 UTC
The Synergy site doesn't list the SSR-6Tr but I found a datasheet here:
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/finally-a-relatively-inexpensive-u-blox-lea-6t-board-in-the-us
Dale J. Robertson
2012-12-20 14:36:12 UTC
Just curious,
what connector/pigtail/adapter board did you use to access the 2x5 1.27mm
pitch connector on your SSR-6T.
Thanks,
Dale NV8U

Magnus Danielson
2012-12-20 22:46:44 UTC
David,
Post by David Martin
A Day in the Life of Five PPS Sources..
This probably does not qualify as a regular TimeNuts submission as there
are no Tau's or 10^-12ths but I could not resist a simple scope capture of
the Pulse Per Second output of my new SSR-6t toy from Synergy Systems as it
performed its first right-out-of-the box site survey.
See http://youtu.be/kOG9ImT2lvY
This is video is a two minute replay of the PPS behavior of two PRS-10s,
two TBolts, and the SSR-6t during it's initial 24 hour site survey.
A good illustration. You realize that the T-bolts follow each other
fairly well, as can be expected. The PRS-10s also follow each other
fairly well. The variation between them could be speculated on, but
first suspect would be multipath and satellite geometry. When having bad
receiving conditions, the position moves around a lot, and loosing or
gaining a bird could drastically change the geometry conditions and
hence precision. For the T-bolts, these variations only go out to phase
changes.

If you would log the sat positions and tracking status alongside these
deviations you might get a better feel for these effects.

Also, the T-bolts avoids the sawtooth dance by steering the 10 MHz clock.

Cheers,
Magnus