[time-nuts] Need recommendation for GPS antenna for Oncore GPS module
Toby Riddell
2018-11-03 21:26:51 UTC
Hi all,

I want to fit a GPS antenna on our house (the attic is being renovated and
it just occurred to me that if I move fast I can get it done before the
walls are closed up again!)

I was planning on having it mounted on a south-facing wall but below the
roofline - does this sound okay for picking up satellites? It can poke
above the roofline if needed as long as the mounts are on the wall (not the
top of the roof).

Is there a recommended antenna? I am planning on feeding it into an Oncore
GPS module which will then interface to a Soekris net4501 running nanoBSD
and ntpns.

Thanks!

Toby
and follow the instructions there.
Scott McGrath

Toby Riddell
Matthew D'Asaro

Toby Riddell
2018-11-04 17:57:00 UTC
I spotted this on Ebay, the price is very attractive and I saw this model
mentioned previously in the mailing list archives:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ericsson-KRE-1012082-1-GPS-Antenna-26dBi-For-HUBER-SUHNER-Bracket-84097323/272646019498?hash=item3f7af819aa:g:US8AAOSwRUhZAIhz:rk:3:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Anyone have a manual or datasheet for it? I cannot seem to find one using
Google.
Bob kb8tq
2018-11-04 21:49:30 UTC
Hi

Appears to be an Italian clone of the generic timing antenna. That is only a guess and it could
easily be something very different …. Since it’s a part made for Erickson by somebody else,
you would need their part number to properly track it down. If it’s a custom part, even that might
be impossible.

Bob
Attila Kinali
2018-11-04 17:57:35 UTC
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 17:26:51 -0400
Post by Toby Riddell
I was planning on having it mounted on a south-facing wall but below the
roofline - does this sound okay for picking up satellites? It can poke
above the roofline if needed as long as the mounts are on the wall (not the
top of the roof).
Unless you have a European style roof, with lots of metal around, there
will be no benefit of placing the antenna below the roofline, as it will
be electrically the highest grounded object. Hence you will need some
lightning arrestors (go for satellite receiver equipment) anyways. This also
means that you can go above the roofline, to avoid multipath, which
is the single biggest contributor to timing jitter in GPSDOs with
non-ideal antenna positions. Recommended are 2-3m above any surrounding
obstacle, but I guess anything from 1m upwards is ok.
Post by Toby Riddell
Is there a recommended antenna? I am planning on feeding it into an Oncore
GPS module which will then interface to a Soekris net4501 running nanoBSD
and ntpns.
And brand antenna is good enough unless you want to go for below 10ns accuracy.
Brand names include Symmetricom/Microsemi, Trimble, Novatel, Leica, ....

Attila Kinali
--
<JaberWorky> The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
throw DARK chocolate at you.

and follow the instructions there.
Gregory Beat via time-nuts
2018-11-05 17:32:17 UTC
About 18 months ago, David Zoldan (Launch3.net) had over 250 surplus Symmetricom / Microsemi 58532A GPS Antennas from the cellular/mobile industry.
https://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_view/133381-58532a-datasheet

He offered these to time-nuts group for an attractive price ($25 at time, cheaper than you’ll find on eBay). You can contact him, if any surplus inventory remains.

David Zoldan
www.Launch3.net
P: 646.536.3699 | C: 917.374.7482 | F: 646.536.3866 | E: ***@Launch3.net
27 Daniel Rd. | Fairfield, New Jersey | 07004

==
g. beat, w9gb
chicago

Azelio Boriani
2018-11-06 09:18:10 UTC
This antenna is manufactured by Huber&Suhner, you can find the
complete manual here (find it in the pictures of the item):
<https://www.ebay.com/p/Ericsson-Kre-101-2082-1-GPS-Active-Antenna-Nemko-Ship-L308/1633780337>