WTB: HP/Agilent/Symmetricom 58517A Distribution Amplifier
2018-05-18 13:50:11 UTC

From what I have seen, it is a rare setup that requires all amplified distribution. Yes,
it is possible. Unless you are in that rare case, the MiniCircuits eight and sixteen port
splitters do a great job for *way* less money.

Bob
*HP/Agilent/Symmetricom 58517A Distribution Amplifier (8 port)*
Ideally... actually definitely need the one with the external DC power input with DC blocks on all 8 ports.
I have a 4-port, but it's going to be full by the end of the week.
73,
Clay, KY5G
--
*Clay Autery
(318) 518-1389
Clay Autery
2018-05-18 14:35:28 UTC
Gotcha....  and agree....

The 58516a/58517a as the main distro amp allows me to power the antenna
with a separate supply (for many reasons).
Essentially, I want to replace the 4-way with an 8-way amp with same
power setup.

Then if I want to cascade unpowered splitters from one or more unity
gain ports on the distro amp, I can do that.  <smile>

For much of what I am/will be doing, I want to be able to provide "equal
access" to antenna signal to designated devices to control variables
somewhat.

*Clay Autery
(318) 518-1389
*
Post by Bob kb8tq
Hi
From what I have seen, it is a rare setup that requires all amplified distribution. Yes,
2018-05-18 17:26:47 UTC

Well, a 4 port with 16 way splitters on each port is a *lot* of GPS devices……. Doing the
same with an 8 port is a lot of lot of devices :)

For a “over a hundred port” sort of solution, I think I would go with one of the custom GPS
amplifiers and then run passive splitters after that. It’s going to be very bulletproof and less
money than the prices you typically see on the 8 way HP devices.

Given the way the HP amps do their thing, a passive splitter after a single amp is going to be
a lot closer to “equal access” than the HP device.

Bob
Gotcha.... and agree....
The 58516a/58517a as the main distro amp allows me to power the antenna with a separate supply (for many reasons).
Essentially, I want to replace the 4-way with an 8-way amp with same power setup.
Then if I want to cascade unpowered splitters from one or more unity gain ports on the distro amp, I can do that. <smile>
For much of what I am/will be doing, I want to be able to provide "equal access" to antenna signal to designated devices to control variables somewhat.
*Clay Autery
(318) 518-1389
*
Post by Bob kb8tq
Hi
From what I have seen, it is a rare setup that requires all amplified distribution. Yes,
Ole Petter Rønningen

Gary E. Miller
2018-05-18 18:48:49 UTC
Ole!

On Fri, 18 May 2018 20:31:22 +0200
Post by Ole Petter Rønningen
Just a heads up, in case you’re not concious of the fact; at least my
HP splitter (can’t recall model# off hand) is strictly L1 - many
others are wide band and will allow L2 and whatever else you might
later want.
I have had good luck with cheap chinese wide-band splitters. No problems
with L1, L2, GLONASS and more.

Like this one for $23:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-coaxial-Power-Splitter-Divider-Combiner-SMA-2-way-800-2500MHz-signal-booster/282970977753

Also, mostly good luck with cheap Chinese DC injectors. Some have had
bad solder joints, easily fixed.

These have been good, for $9:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RF-Isolator-Bias-Feeder-Bias-Tee-10MHz-3GHz/32848444588.html

What I have not had luck with yet is finding a cheap LNA so I can recover
the gain lost in the splitters. The ones I have tested so far have all
seriously degraded my SNRs.

Anyone know of a cheap and good L1/L2/etc. LNA?

RGDS
GARY
2018-05-18 18:53:28 UTC

What you really want is an LNA plus some filtering. MiniCircuits will sell you all sorts of
“adequate” amplifiers. They show up surplus for reasonable prices. The key point is that
ultra low noise figure it not needed. A 3db NF is just as good as 0.3 db in this case. The
antenna sets the noise for the system. ( unless you *really* run out of gain).

Bob