Repairs and mods underway on HP 3586b
Tisha Hayes
2018-04-02 02:24:09 UTC
Thanks to those who responded to my requests off-list for details on
correcting a partially functional HP 3586b. Here is where I am at with it;

Replaced the incandescent lamp inside of the 5060-0329 rotary encoder for a
white LED with a resistor to work at 5VDC.
Ordered a 75 ohm BNC chassis jack
Installed two BNC-SMB cables for the 50 MHz connections that are normally
covered with blank plugs on the back panel
Removed all of the buttons and soaked them for a few hours in a mixture of
hydrogen peroxide and oxy-clean to remove the brownish oxidation
(in the process) of pulling the little wafer springs out of each switch and
rotating the metal around 180 degrees so the buttons do not need to make a
hard "click"
replaced the NiCad battery with an NiMH

The unit already had the 10 MHz precision oscillator module (thanks to
Perry Sandeen for that).

I have a couple of Rb standards that are already used for metrology
(spec-an's, tracking generators, R-590 and a couple of other receivers). I
will probably stick with those as frequency references as they are usually
running for days at a time.

*Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA*
Bob Darlington
2018-04-04 04:14:15 UTC
Tisha,

Magnus encouraged me to share my "Happy Easter" with you, or at least this
demo that's kinda like an easter egg:

Tisha Hayes
2018-04-04 12:31:13 UTC
Bob,
Thanks so much, as soon as I saw the key sequence I knew where that was
going!

If only more manufacturers had a sense of humor.

We had a test-jig in our development lab that would go through a repeating
sequence and spit out a text string for each step it completed;

"It slices" *BEEP*
"It dices" *BEEP*
"It will cut a cow in half" "BEEP,BEEP*

-ad infinitum

After that ran for a couple of days straight our engineering manager made
us move the jig to a room far far away from his office.
Tisha

*Ms. Tisha Hayes*
Post by Bob Darlington
Tisha,
Magnus encouraged me to share my "Happy Easter" with you, or at least this
http://youtu.be/8MZpnVs6CWc
Post by Tisha Hayes
will probably stick with those as frequency references as they are
usually
Post by Tisha Hayes
running for days at a time.
*Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA*