TNS-BUF High Isolation, Low Noise Buffer Amp Available
John Ackermann N8UR
2016-10-05 14:15:46 UTC
I've previously mentioned a high performance buffer amplifier called the
"TNS-BUF" that I built based on a design by Dr. Bruce Griffiths with
further input from John Miles. Key numbers are:

* Phase noise -140dBc/Hz at 1 Hertz offset, noise floor -175dBc/Hz.
(PN plot attached)
* Reverse isolation greater than 100dB; low enough that I can't make a
trustworthy measurement.
* Gain from -10 to +7 dB from 1 to 30 MHz; maximum output >18dBm.
* Nominal 18VDC operation, but works down to 12V with lowered
maximum output level.

There's information, including performance data and schematic, at
http://www.febo.com/pages/TNS-BUF

There seems to be some interest in an amplifier like this, so TAPR has
decided to do a limited production run. The amp is built with surface
mount parts, so we thought an assembled and tested board was better than
a kit. The price will be $119 each. But we have no idea how much
interest there is, and we need to build a minimum of 25 units to make
production feasible.

So, here's the deal: you can order your TNS-BUF at

http://tapr.org/kits_tns-buf

through *October 20*. If we receive orders for at least 25 boards by
then, we will charge credit cards and place the production order with
our contract manufacturer. If we don't get 25 orders, we'll cancel the
project and credit cards will not be charged. There's no guarantee that
boards will be available for later order.

We expect about 60 days between placing the manufacturing order and
receipt of the boards at TAPR. We'll ship to customers ASAP after
receipt. So that means you can expect to receive your order shortly
after January 1.

So, go to http://tapr.org/kits_tns-buf now to place your order before
the deadline!

John
Dan Rae
2016-10-05 18:04:10 UTC
For those of us who aren't scared of surface mount stuff, and maybe even
prefer it, will there be any bare boards available?

Dan - ac6ao
John Ackermann N8UR
2016-10-05 18:07:41 UTC
It's possible we may have some bare boards, but no guarantees at this point.

timeok
2016-10-08 11:57:03 UTC
I have updated the paper adding the schematic diagram and in addition some updating for the comparative table.
http://www.timeok.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Frequency-Distribution-Design-Basic-Module-v-4.1.pdf
This study come from a development of a Bruce Griffith idea.
regards,
luciano
www.timeok.it
timeok
2016-10-09 07:46:06 UTC
Sorry for the broadcast.
Jim, N1JR, I want to answer to your direct email about the distribution amplifier but there are some problem in your email basket. please verify.
Luciano
www.timeok.it

From "time-nuts" time-nuts-***@febo.com
To time-***@febo.com
Cc
Date Sat, 8 Oct 2016 13:57:03 +0200
Subject [time-nuts] Frequency distribution design-basic-module v 4.1

Hi,
John Ackermann N8UR
2016-10-12 12:31:48 UTC
Just a reminder that the deadline to order TNS-BUF isolation amps is
next week -- October 20.

John

John
Chris Caudle
2016-10-12 13:08:24 UTC
On Wed, October 5, 2016 9:15 am, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> I've previously mentioned a high performance buffer amplifier called the
> "TNS-BUF" that I built based on a design by Dr. Bruce Griffiths with
> further input from John Miles.

None of the pictures have shown the connector side of the assembled PCB.
Does the layout accommodate mounting in an enclosure?

And is this layout just a single channel of the buffer design? In other
words only for buffering an oscillator to a single other device for
preventing crosstalk or injection locking, not for distribution.

--
Chris Caudle

John Ackermann N8UR
2016-10-12 13:42:20 UTC
Hi Chris --

The input and output are straight SMAs mounted on the back of the PCB.
The idea is that you can mount it in the cover of a small die-cast box
secured by the SMA hardware (I used a Hammond BB1590N1). All you have
to do is drill a couple of 3/16 holes, plus another hole for a power
feedthrough.

This is a buffer amp, not a distribution amp, so it's a single channel
circuit, and high isolation was one of the key design criteria.

John
----

John Ackermann N8UR
2016-10-19 23:15:17 UTC
We've received enough orders to go ahead with production on the TNS-BUF,
so here's your last chance to join the cool kids -- we'll take orders at
http://tapr.org/kits_tns-buf through tomorrow, Oct. 20.

John

John
Magnus Danielson
2018-05-17 14:15:05 UTC
Hi John,

I missed the original run, and this is one of the things I sure would
gather a few, and hope they could also get into a more continuous
availability.

I intend to get a couple, but I would potentially want more later, but I
don't always have the resources to get that lifetime supply.

Appreciate the effort greatly, and when possible, I also recommend
friends to take a look at these projects just to get them of the ground.

John Ackermann N8UR
2018-06-05 16:32:18 UTC
Good news -- we had enough orders to justify doing a small production
run of the TNS-BUF isolation amplifiers. We'll be placing the order
with our contract manufacturer this week, and expect delivery in six to
eight weeks.

There will be a few extra boards available, so if you haven't ordered
yet, there's still time.

John
----