TAPR TICC / PRS10
Add Reply
Chris Burford
2018-10-05 00:49:51 UTC
Hello All,
I'm very near purchasing a TICC unit to play with and to qualify my
RFS and various GPSDO units. In reading the documentation for the TICC
it requires a 10Mhz source input.
Is (Are) there any issue(s) with using the 10MHz out on the RFS to the
input reference on the TICC while simultaneously using the 1PPS out of
the PRS for measurements? If need be I can use a GPSDO for the
reference input to the TICC. I just thought it would make it easier on
the RFS not having to be both the oscillator source and taking 1PPS at
the same time from the RFS.
I'm guessing that it is ok to source the RFS as the oscillator input
and also measure the 1PPS simultaneously. I'd like to hear what
potential "gotchas" may be lurking.
Thanks for reading,Chris
2018-10-05 02:19:05 UTC

If you are doing a single device measurement *and* that device is also the reference,
the result will simply be the noise from the TICC.

If you are doing an A / B comparison of two devices, both with 1 pps outputs, any error
from the GPSDO will scale with the time delta between the 1 pps arrival times. Simply put,
no big deal if they are within a few hundred nanoseconds of each other.

At long offsets (say a half second) a 1 ppb error from the GPSDO will give you a half
nanosecond timing error on the comparison. That may or may not be significant, depending
on what else is going on.

If your GPSDO’s / standards are running well, you will have a tough time measuring their actual ADEV
at short tau with a TICC. What you will be plotting is the noise floor of the TICC. That’s not a knock on
the TICC, it does a good job for what it is. It simply can’t do everything ….

Bob