OCXO Board
Add Reply
ew via time-nuts
2018-10-26 10:17:11 UTC
There recently was a request for an OCXO board. I did a layout, see attached and had Corby do his usual QC test.

If some one is interested to make boards and maybe sell to other time nuts please contact me off list and I will get you code and possible suppliers.

Board does not have an amp  but could be added, if so, please advise, what should be added. Regardless what the direct output will remain

Bert Kehren
Bob Martin
2018-10-26 12:51:24 UTC
Bert,

That looks like a useful board. Certainly some of the oscillators
I'm giving away would fit nicely on it. Since it looks like a two
layer board, a quick check at pcbway.com puts the cost at $.79
apiece at the 100 quantity exclusive of shipping.

Best,

Bob Martin

and f
Wes
2018-10-26 17:45:20 UTC
I'm not up to doing the whole project, but I would certain be interested in 2 or
3 boards for sure.

Wes  Stewart  N7WS

Dave M
2018-10-26 18:14:59 UTC
Yep!! Count me in for a few also!! maybe 4 or 5...

Dave M

ew via time-nuts
2018-10-26 18:25:41 UTC
It is two layer and I added an amp with two transformer outputs.
I am not going to get in to board selling or shipping to oldBert

Mark Goldberg
2018-10-26 22:43:18 UTC
On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 11:27 AM ew via time-nuts <time-***@lists.febo.com>
wrote:

> It is two layer and I added an amp with two transformer outputs.
> I am not going to get in to board selling or shipping to oldBert

Although it is not the cheapest, OSHPark will let you upload your board as
gerbers and share it with the world. Then anyone can order boards directly
from them and you do not have to be involved at all. They have good quality
ENIG plated boards, great to solder to. You can list other info too.

Regards,

Mark
Gerhard Hoffmann
2018-10-27 01:41:09 UTC
I have made a similar board for Morion MV-89, MTI-260 and HP10811.

It has regulators for all voltages required (worst case for all types),
can lock to an

external reference ( ring mixer from Macom/Pulse el cheapo transformers
and and diode quartet),

LMH6702 buffers), power level indicator for ref, usual Wenzel style diff
amp squarer

or Linear technology squarer depending on personal preference.

It can produce 1pps from the oscillator with either a $1.50 CPLD

or TVB's PICDIV.  1pps drives 3V into 50 Ohm. Should be enough for
contemporary

CMOS. The CPLD has enough resources to lock the OCXO to an external 1pps.

That has not been tested, I also have no PICDIV. But there isn't much to it.

There is also an SMA for external EFC.

The output amplifier can deliver 20 dBm and act optionally as a doubler,
5 to 10 MHz

for example. There are 2 harmonic notches with either crystals or toroids.

I only had to click together some macros from my library, and since
especially the 10811

needs so much space, there was free epoxy, so to say. The board could be
sawed to

to pieces in principle, if someone should be interested in LMH6702
buffers, mixer,

doubler... There is some "air" between the functions.  The subcircuits
have I/Os on a 100 mil grid

so they can be easily arranged on Vector board. (with a ground plane,
please!)

Circuits / Gerbers / Altium Designer files are available.

I wanted to lock 16 MTI-260s loosely to a common reference and Wilkinson

them together to see how far I could come wrt phase noise. I have them
already here,

but I'll find no time for that in the foreseeable future.

That guy who sold the LUCENT KS24361 plug-ins had made me an offer I
could not deny.

Ask me if you need Lucent spare parts! I was only after the oscillators.

My interest has kinda slipped into 1/f noise in baseband and chopper
amplifiers.

Bottom side.

<
https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N07/30952263115/in/album-72157662535945536/

Top side:

<
https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N07/30952252115/in/album-72157662535945536/

best regards,

Gerhard

While I'm at it, this is the phase noise of the FE405 that I got from
the group buy

here, some time ago.

<
https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N07/30824608092/in/album-72157662535945536/

Is that uproar far out normal?   But over seconds to minutes it dives
down nicely into E-13 land.

2018-10-26 18:34:17 UTC
A SMA connector for EFC input would be nice. Also a footprint for the Oscilloquartz 8663 DOCXO... these are rather nice oscillators. They do have a ref voltage output.
ew via time-nuts
2018-10-26 18:41:25 UTC
Al OCXO's have Ref outputs will look at adding EFC SMA. Send me the footprint of the 8663 and I will take a lookBert
In a message dated 10/26/2018 2:35:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, ***@hotmail.com writes:

A SMA connector for EFC input would be nice.  Also a footprint for the Oscilloquartz 8663 DOCXO... these are rather nice oscillators.  They do have a ref voltage output._______________________________________________time-nuts mailing list -- time-***@lists.febo.comTo unsubscribe, go to http://lists.febo.com/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts_lists.febo.comand follow the instructions there.
and follow the i
ew via time-nuts
2018-10-26 18:42:32 UTC
I do not think you understand under no circumstances will I get in to the board business.I do all the boards for an off list group 20 designs last week from China.Willing to help some one to do this board it was part of last weeks shipping Corby was first to test it so I am willing to share it because I know it works, pin location is critical, I just added an amp, still being checked but not as critical as OCXO and trim pot pins
Bert
In a message dated 10/26/2018 2:16:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, ***@mediacombb.net writes:

Yep!! Count me in for a few also!! maybe 4 or 5...
Dave M
Wes wrote:> I'm not up to doing the whole project, but I would certain be> interested in 2 or 3 boards for sure.>> Wes Stewart N7WS>> On 10/26/2018 5:51 AM, Bob Martin wrote:>> Bert,>>>> That looks like a useful board. Certainly some of the oscillators>> I'm giving away would fit nicely on it. Since it looks like a two>> layer board, a quick check at pcbway.com puts the cost at $.79>> apiece at the 100 quantity exclusive of shipping.>>>> Best,>>>> Bob Martin>>>> On 10/26/2018 4:17 AM, ew via time-nuts wrote:>>>>>>>>> There recently was a request for an OCXO board. I did a layout, see>>> attached and had Corby do his usual QC test.>>>>>>>>> If some one is interested to make boards and maybe sell to other>>> time nuts please contact me off list and I will get you code and>>> possible suppliers.>>>>>> Board does not have an amp but could be added, if so, please>>> advise, what should be added. Regardless what the direct output>>> will remain>>>>>> Bert Kehren>>>>

Patrick Murphy
2018-10-26 19:35:47 UTC
Not to be a "me too", but I think there will be some interest for this
board. Including a couple for me. :-)

-Pat (KG5YPQ)

2018-10-26 20:21:05 UTC

I think what is needed is somebody to stand up and say “ok, I’ll handle all the
ordering and shipping stuff”. No, that somebody is not me …. sorry about that.
There are a *lot* more board designs than just this one floating around. This could
turn into a fairly complex little enterprise.

If the first boards really are “well under $1 each” sort of boards (and I’m quite sure they are),
doing this one board at a time is going to be …. errr… nutty. I’d suggest that
something like groups of 5 (or maybe even 10 if then are < <. $1 is likely the
smallest rational increment to play with. When shipping is more than the
stuff in the envelope … that’s silly.

Since you pretty much always see people coming back a while later wondering
if they can get more boards on anything like this, getting a few extras is never
a bad idea.

So who has way too much time on their hands and *really* likes driving to the post office?
Hmmm …. not many hands raised. Probably a good idea to include the thought that
there *should* be something in the deal for the poor person doing all the work. I’d say
they should get at least as much as the post office does …. just saying …..

Bob

ewkehren via time-nuts
2018-10-26 20:19:07 UTC
I have added OSA 8663 was not easy no more Please                         BertSent from my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Patrick Murphy <***@gmail.com> Date: 10/26/18 3:35 PM (GMT-05:00) To: time-***@lists.febo.com Subject: Re: [time-nuts] OCXO Board Not to be a "me too", but I think there will be some interest for thisboard. Including a couple for me. :-)-Pat (KG5YPQ)>Dave wrote:>Yep!! Count me in for a few also!! maybe 4 or 5...>>Dave M>Wes wrote:> I'm not up to doing the whole project, but I would certain be> interested in 2 or 3 boards for sure.>> Wes Stewart N7WS>> On 10/26/2018 5:51 AM, Bob Martin wrote:>> Bert,>>>> That looks like a useful board. Certainly some of the oscillators>> I'm giving away would fit nicely on it. Since it looks like a two>> layer board, a quick check at pcbway.com puts the cost at $.79>> apiece at the 100 quantity exclusive of shipping.>>>> Best,>>>> Bob Martin>>>> On 10/26/2018 4:17 AM, ew via time-nuts wrote:>>>>>>>>> There recently was a request for an OCXO board. I did a layout, see>>> attached and had Corby do his usual QC test.>>>>>>>>> If some one is interested to make boards and maybe sell to other>>> time nuts please contact me off list and I will get you code and>>> possible suppliers.>>>>>> Board does not have an amp but could be added, if so, please>>> advise, what should be added. Regardless what the direct output>>> will remain>>>>>> Bert Kehren>>>>_______________________________________________time-nuts mailing list -- time-***@lists.febo.comTo unsubscribe, go to http://lists.febo.com/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts_lists.febo.comand follow the instructions there.
and follow the i
Bob kb8tq
2018-10-26 20:22:17 UTC

Well if this turns into a major enterprise …. do a second board with a different set of
footprints. Probably better to see if this one will fly first …..

Bob

ewkehren via time-nuts
2018-10-26 20:41:09 UTC
I took delivery last Thursday of 8 10X10 boards 10 each 2 days DHL from China total cost $ 86      Bert Kehren Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Bob kb8tq <***@n1k.org> Date: 10/26/18 4:21 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-***@lists.febo.com> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] OCXO Board HiI think what is needed is somebody to stand up and say “ok, I’ll handle all theordering and shipping stuff”. No, that somebody is not me …. sorry about that. There are a *lot* more board designs than just this one floating around. This couldturn into a fairly complex little enterprise. If the first boards really are “well under $1 each” sort of boards (and I’m quite sure they are),doing this one board at a time is going to be …. errr… nutty. I’d suggest that something like groups of 5 (or maybe even 10 if then are < <. $1 is likely the smallest rational increment to play with. When shipping is more than the stuff in the envelope … that’s silly. Since you pretty much always see people coming back a while later wondering if they can get more boards on anything like this, getting a few extras is nevera bad idea. So who has way too much time on their hands and *really* likes driving to the post office?Hmmm …. not many hands raised. Probably a good idea to include the thought that there *should* be something in the deal for the poor person doing all the work. I’d saythey should get at least as much as the post office does …. just saying …..Bob> On Oct 26, 2018, at 3:35 PM, Patrick Murphy <***@gmail.com> wrote:> > Not to be a "me too", but I think there will be some interest for this> board. Including a couple for me. :-)> > -Pat (KG5YPQ)> >> Dave wrote:>> Yep!! Count me in for a few also!! maybe 4 or 5...>> >> Dave M> >> Wes wrote:>> I'm not up to doing the whole project, but I would certain be>> interested in 2 or 3 boards for sure.>> >> Wes Stewart N7WS>> >> On 10/26/2018 5:51 AM, Bob Martin wrote:>>> Bert,>>> >>> That looks like a useful board. Certainly some of the oscillators>>> I'm giving away would fit nicely on it. Since it looks like a two>>> layer board, a quick check at pcbway.com puts the cost at $.79>>> apiece at the 100 quantity exclusive of shipping.>>> >>> Best,>>> >>> Bob Martin>>> >>> On 10/26/2018 4:17 AM, ew via time-nuts wrote:>>>> >>>> >>>> There recently was a request for an OCXO board. I did a layout, see>>>> attached and had Corby do his usual QC test.>>>> >>>> >>>> If some one is interested to make boards and maybe sell to other>>>> time nuts please contact me off list and I will get you code and>>>> possible suppliers.>>>> >>>> Board does not have an amp but could be added, if so, please>>>> advise, what should be added. Regardless what the direct output>>>> will remain>>>> >>>> Bert Kehren>>>> >> > _______________________________________________> time-nuts mailing list -- time-***@lists.febo.com> To unsubscribe, go to http://lists.febo.com/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts_lists.febo.com> and follow the instructions there._______________________________________________time-nuts mailing list -- time-***@lists.febo.comTo unsubscribe, go to http://lists.febo.com/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts_lists.febo.comand follow the instructions there.
ew via time-nuts
2018-10-27 11:09:15 UTC
Juerg just informed me that his boards arrived in Switzerland. At least the 50th shipment. Since joining time nuts starting with HP 1081 edge connectors I have shipped using the US Postal Service in a regular envelope boars and small parts to New Zealand, Russia and Scandinavia all over the world, never loosing an envelop. Some take a little longer like New Zealand. One or two international stamps. In the US I always use two stamps for safety.A comment on the board, the location of the regulator is intentional. I connect it to the OCXO in a permanent installation with solder or for testing with a wire. See attached. Three reasons  no heat sink,   lower total power dissipation and third regulator sees a more stable temperature resulting in more stable output voltage.Mark send me an alternate OCXO source link. https://gerrysweeney.com/tag/ocxo/ Bert Kehren