Help Identifying this surplus Timing Module
2018-05-12 14:39:01 UTC

Ok, the gizmo on the front it an Altera CPLD. Not a lot of gates, so not a lot going
on there. Whatever the real functions are, they are in the chip with no labeling.

Even with the full information (let’s say):

Takes in a 16 stream OC-blah blah and provides the following alarms on the status
channel. Hookup up the data stream and backup to pins X and Y. Status alarms also come
out on A, B, and C. Power is 12 V +/- 10% on pin M. Enable and control are on pins
E,F,G.

Unless you happen to be building an OC-3 system in the basement and have all
the optical fiber stuff to do it …. not a lot of use. It is very similar to a lot of product
I designed over the years. It likely does a great job in it’s intended OEM application.
It’s pretty much useless for anything more general purpose as it is right now.

Without a schematic, the source code for the DSP and CPLD and the proper tool
sets, not much you can modify it to do. Even with all that stuff, probably the best you
could do is a fairly basic 1 pps in. to 38.88 MHz) / M out PLL.

Indeed this *is* where timing has gone over the last few decades. TimeNuts normally may
not look at telecom timing as an exciting thing. There is a vast amount of gear that
has been built to distribute signals inside these networks. As far as Crazy Bob at
home is concerned, it’s all out of reach. It also is all designed for maintenance of
data sync rather than time of day. It’s still very much time, just a different way of
looking at it.

Bob
https://imgur.com/a/auWdXvq
"This is the picture with sticker removed. The large IC at the back has its label scratched off. ... that was intentional, but he has a note saying it is a member of Motorola DSP56300 family. It was likely purchased in 2010 based on an eBay invoice which has no date on it, but the scanned date was Feb 2011."
If anyone else has any more ideas, I would gladly hear them! Thanks again!
-Randal (at CubeCentral)
2018-05-11 23:37:35 UTC

The big chip with the sticker on it is an Altera FPGA. A picture of the back
side might help a little (if there is anything on the back side …).

Simple answer - it’s a nice source of parts ….

Bob

CubeCentral
2018-05-13 19:51:27 UTC
Bob, thank you so very much for this - I will share it with the owner of the module and let you know what he decides to do with it!
I so very much appreciate being able to pick y'all brains from time to time, and I just wanted to be sure to thank you!
Cheers!

-Randal (at CubeCentral)