black holes and list email - Earthlink
jimlux
2018-10-03 14:25:28 UTC
Several times over the past month, I've found that my emails to the list
were blocked because they appeared to be junkmail because they came from
an IP address (an earthlink MTA) on a black list.

Fortunately, you get a bounce message, so you can go to the blacklist
and ask it to be removed which typically happens in a few hours.

https://spameatingmonkey.com/lookup/209.86.89.62

(or .64, or .69, etc)

Or, you can just resend the email, and most likely it goes through a
different MTA at Earthlink, which doesn't happen to have it's IP on the
list.

John Ackermann N8UR
2018-10-03 14:36:24 UTC
Yes, the new list provider has their own spam filtering system which is
different from (and probably better than) the one I had on the old
febo.com. However, it does blacklist addresses from some of the more
popular spam-producing ISP servers. As Jim mentioned, the tools seem to
be pretty good for getting off the list.

John
----
jimlux
2018-10-03 16:18:32 UTC
Post by John Ackermann N8UR
Yes, the new list provider has their own spam filtering system which is
different from (and probably better than) the one I had on the old
febo.com.  However, it does blacklist addresses from some of the more
popular spam-producing ISP servers.  As Jim mentioned, the tools seem to
be pretty good for getting off the list.
It takes about an hour or so..to remove yourself, and you do get a
response email saying it's been done. Of course, the problem is that
when you resend your mail, it will go through a different MTA, and might
have an IP that's been blocked.

As a practical matter, looking over those IPs in their logs, it looks
like the blacklist provider "gets offended" every few weeks..
Post by John Ackermann N8UR
John
----
Post by jimlux
Several times over the past month, I've found that my emails to the
list were blocked because they appeared to be junkmail because they
came from an IP address (an earthlink MTA) on a black list.
Fortunately, you get a bounce message, so you can go to the blacklist
and ask it to be removed which typically happens in a few hours.
https://spameatingmonkey.com/lookup/209.86.89.62
(or .64, or .69, etc)
Or, you can just resend the email, and most likely it goes through a
different MTA at Earthlink, which doesn't happen to have it's IP on
the list.
and follow the