News
2018-08-30 20:33:42 UTC

Magnus … do you have some news you might want to share with the group?

and follow the ins
Magnus Danielson
2018-08-30 20:39:04 UTC
Hi Bob,
Post by Bob kb8tq
Hi
Magnus … do you have some news you might want to share with the group?
Oh, well, sure:

Today I received a nice email from IEEE starting with:
"It is a great pleasure to congratulate you on your elevation to the
grade of IEEE Senior member. IEEE Senior Membership is an honor bestowed
only to those who have made significant contributions to the profession."

I'm humbled by these words, but proud of the achievement and happy for
the distinction. This has been a process that has been going on since
spring when IEEE approached me and pointed out that I should be able to
become senior member, writing up a modern CV and then being interviewed
by three Senior Members was interesting, sharing the room with very
senior engineers, PhDs and professors all seeking to reach the IEEE
Senior member elevation.

and follow t
Jeremy Nichols

and follow the instructio
Poul-Henning Kamp
2018-08-30 22:18:39 UTC
--------

Congrats Magnus!
***@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

djl
2018-08-30 23:01:25 UTC
Well Done, Magnus...
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi Bob,
Post by Bob kb8tq
Hi
Magnus … do you have some news you might want to share with the group?
"It is a great pleasure to congratulate you on your elevation to the
grade of IEEE Senior member. IEEE Senior Membership is an honor bestowed
only to those who have made significant contributions to the
profession."
I'm humbled by these words, but proud of the achievement and happy for
the distinction. This has been a process that has been going on since
spring when IEEE approached me and pointed out that I should be able to
become senior member, writing up a modern CV and then being interviewed
by three Senior Members was interesting, sharing the room with very
senior engineers, PhDs and professors all seeking to reach the IEEE
Senior member elevation.
Dr. Don Latham
PO Box 404, Frenchtown, MT, 59834
VOX: 406-626-4304

William H. Fite
2018-08-30 23:12:18 UTC
Congratulations, Magnus! Fellowship is next.
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi Bob,
Post by Bob kb8tq
Hi
Magnus … do you have some news you might want to share with the group?
"It is a great pleasure to congratulate you on your elevation to the
grade of IEEE Senior member. IEEE Senior Membership is an honor bestowed
only to those who have made significant contributions to the profession."
I'm humbled by these words, but proud of the achievement and happy for
the distinction. This has been a process that has been going on since
spring when IEEE approached me and pointed out that I should be able to
become senior member, writing up a modern CV and then being interviewed
by three Senior Members was interesting, sharing the room with very
senior engineers, PhDs and professors all seeking to reach the IEEE
Senior member elevation.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government
when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

We may be surprised at the people we find in heaven. God has a soft spot
for sinners. His standards are quite low.
--Desmond Tutu
2018-09-02 19:08:02 UTC
Many thanks!

Fellowship is the next grade in the IEEE ladder, but the highest you can
seek yourself is the Senior membership. For fellowship others needs to
advocate for you. Maybe a few relevant persons will nominate me one of
these days, who knows.

Those curious about the different grades can go into IEEE->Membership
and then look at the various pages there. All the conditions should
become clear after some reading up.

To become Senior member, one needs three Senior member (or Fellows) as
referees, a CV illustrating the distinctions etc. They take this very
serious, so one should work it through, and have someone to coach on it.

Post by William H. Fite
Congratulations, Magnus! Fellowship is next.
On Thursday, August 30, 2018, Magnus Danielson
Hi Bob,
Hi
and follow the in
Dr. Geophysics
and follow the instruct
Didier Juges
2018-09-01 11:23:30 UTC
Congratulations Magnus, a well deserved reward for your contributions. My
boss is a Senior Member and I know they do not just give those away.
Well done!

Didier
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi Bob,
Hi
and
paul swed
2018-09-02 15:55:42 UTC
Congratulations on becoming a Senior member of the IEEE.
Thank you for your help over time.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL
Post by Didier Juges
Congratulations Magnus, a well deserved reward for your contributions. My
boss is a Senior Member and I know they do not just give those away.
Well done!
Didier
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi Bob,
Hi
and follo
Magnus Danielson
2018-09-02 17:57:51 UTC
Hi Paul,

Many thanks! Much appreciated!

I'm committed to this field, and I try to share as much knowledge and
insight I managed to gather, as I have picked up a lot from this list
alone, but also in my strive to find answers to questions we all had.

Now, the Senior Membership of IEEE is not about that, but somewhat
related, and I hope and aim to contribute further to the field through
this list, articles, presentations and other work. I'm now also
contributing to the EFTF/IFCS conference by going through the
contributions and help select which is worthy of presentations.

I have several ideas for papers, and some more or less finished ones, I
should just get around to get some of them out.

There is also the Stable32 project to take care about, to help setting
up validation code, refactor the code and help contributing to a new
version.

So it's not that I have achieved my end goal, I've just started! :)

Magnus
Post by Didier Juges
Congratulations Magnus, a well deserved reward for your contributions. My
boss is a Senior Member and I know they do not just give those away.
Well done!
Didier
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi Bob,
Hi
and follow the instruc
Magnus Danielson
2018-09-02 19:24:16 UTC
Hi Didier,

Many thanks! Much appreciated!

It's indeed a process which comes with requirements. Turns out I have
done quite a bit of things in my professional career that makes me
distinguish myself sufficiently. To be honest, some of the stuff on my
CV looks very strange, but it strangely enough true and valid.
I should write more articles, they are usually easier to understand as
achievements.

For being a uni-dropout, I never finished my EE, since after one year I
started working for the university instead and then the dotcom happened
so. The first professor I worked under was also to my surprise one of
the referees, and I know he is keen to keep the bar high. He just
concluded that I have been busy and had no issues approving my
application. So, I didn't expect this to be possible, but the Swedish
section of IEEE reached out and pointed out that I should apply and
assisted me.

Anyway, there might be more people here which should apply, so be sure
to check the conditions up, and let me know if I can help.

Post by Didier Juges
Congratulations Magnus, a well deserved reward for your contributions. My
boss is a Senior Member and I know they do not just give those away.
Well done!
Didier
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi Bob,