Wavecrest DTS2075
Gerhard Hoffmann
2018-04-10 19:17:46 UTC
I have been offered a DTS2075. Is this generally regarded as a step

forward if you already have a SR620 or is it more or less the same

league? Are there any hidden pearls or caveats?

TIA and best regards,

Gerhard

Bruce Griffiths
2018-04-10 21:39:18 UTC
Its more accurate and has less measurement noise than the SR620.

The input bandwidth is also greater.

The accuracy is no better than that of a modern TDC chip, however its measurement noise is lower.

Bruce
John Ackermann N8UR

Charles Steinmetz
2018-04-11 00:07:15 UTC
It's more a burst-mode and averaging analyzer like the HP 5371/5372. But it can do sustained time interval measurements if you mess around enough with the settings. And the resolution is down in the very low picoseconds.
But it's big, awkwardly shaped, and has a jet turbine fan.
All of what John says is spot on. It's beastly heavy, too.

One rather important thing I'd add -- make sure it comes with (or you
have access to) the Wavecrest software. The instrument by itself is
close to brain-dead without it -- only a small subset of the most basic
functions is available in manual/local mode.

Best regards,

Charles

Ed Palmer
2018-04-11 05:09:46 UTC
Post by Gerhard Hoffmann
I have been offered a DTS2075. Is this generally regarded as a step
forward if you already have a SR620 or is it more or less the same
league? Are there any hidden pearls or caveats?
TIA and best regards,
Gerhard
I have the DTS-2077. Here's some random thoughts:

1. Recommended maximum input voltage is +-1V1. Damage level is 1V7.
2. Square waves are required for all inputs. A rise time of 1 ns. is
barely adequate and will likely degrade your results.
3. Timelab supports the DTS-2070 series so it's easy to measure ADEV,
frequency, etc. if you have GPIB capability.
4. One thing I think qualifies as a pearl is what Wavecrest calls the
'strobing voltmeter'. Anyone else would call it a digital oscilloscope
with an equivalent sampling speed of 100 GHz. I've attached a
proof-of-concept test of a pulse that I fed into the DTS. The
horizontal divisions are 100 ps/sample, vertical is volts. I could have
gone to 10 ps/sample, but didn't need to.

Ed