wwvb antenna transmission Well harder then I might think.
paul swed
2018-09-06 23:11:58 UTC
Working on the wwvb simulator and it works really well. On to the last
piece. Transmission over maybe 30 ft.
Ever notice everyone that makes a simulator has the clock on top?
Well thats because its pretty hard to get a 60 KHz signal actually out.
Even though I know loopsticks are not great transmit antennas that was the
first attempt. Hey what they say is true, Bad.
Next will be the loose wire over the distance. More likely a spare phone
wire pair that runs all over the house.
Just some humor.
I have found a ton of online articles on vlf antennas and such. Heck seems
like its time to read them.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL
Dana Whitlow
2018-09-07 01:05:33 UTC
Paul,

You really don't want to be building an antenna that radiates energy, which
is a far-field
concept. In your case, at 30 ft range, you're so far inside the near field
that all the
antenna articles in the world won't help, since they address radiating into
the far field.
That's what WWVB needs to do, but not you. I think what you want to do is
use a loop
that is no larger than your house, preferably smaller, and push enough
power into it
to achieve your range goal (but not any further).

Dana
Alex Pummer
2018-09-07 01:43:08 UTC
by making a loop around the territory, on which you would like to
receive the signal, inside of that loop you will have a very decent
reception without using to high transmit power  a 100' x 200' area could
be covered with 100mW,  since the wave length of the used low
frequencies is multiple of the length of the loop length , therefore the
current in the loop is constant along the loop.  The polarization will
be changed, the magnetic component will be vertical -- the  original wwb
field had horizontal magnetic, therefor the ferrite loop stick  of the
clock -- which is now horizontal -- shall be turned vertical. The
described loop will not provide any substantial field outside the loop,
and it will not interfere with the original wwb  horizontal magnetic
component transmission. The field outside of the loop diminishes very
fast therefore it does not constitutes any problem with the surrounding
area. I designed signal transmission system, which is working for the
last thirty something years.

73

Alexander Pummer
paul swed
2018-09-07 01:59:43 UTC
Alex
Funny you bring up the loop antenna. Thats definitely one of the answers I
ran across. Though I was trying to avoid the wire loop.
But that said actually what I need to drive can be quite a small loop so
maybe the right answer.
Along those lines I need to look at the driving Z. Sort of thinking 600
ohms may be useful and shielded pair to carry the rf to the loop. It
doesn't have to be a 50 ohm system at 60 KHz.
Thanks
Paul