Datum ts2100 gps error code 41: New clone ace III
Lizeth Norman
2014-07-24 09:34:39 UTC
Hi all!
Have a Datum ts2100 that had a failed gps receiver. Found a replacement as
a new "clone". The ts2100 with the new receiver does not set the right
time, however, it does know where it is, reports the gps firmware version
and gives satellite information. Prior to this, the only message that I
could get regarding the gps receiver was "gps engine busy". The ts2100
never illuminates the "lock" or "tracking" led's on the front panel.
When checking the menu available from the front panel, in the timing
section, at the "gps health" prompt, the ts2100 reports the error "gps
doing fixes error code 41"
A google search reveals absolutely nothing.
Norm n3ykf
Jason Rabel
2014-07-25 15:06:56 UTC
The "GPS Health" menu choice never really did anything. It will always
say "Doing position fixes, error code: 1". However, the GPS Firmware and
Signal Strength menus should report back proper information.

Can you elaborate on "it does not set the right time"? Is it some random
time, or is it off by some fixed general offset (like 1 hour)?

Do the Tracking & Lock LEDs light up with the new receiver?
Norm n3ykf
Lizeth Norman
2014-07-25 15:46:59 UTC
Jason,
The time on the front panel of the instrument, at power on, shows Jan 1,
2014.
As you say, the gps health menu choice functions sometimes like you state,
other times I get error 41. I do also get the firmware and satellite
information.
Neither the Tracking or Lock led's illuminate.
Norm
Jason Rabel
2014-07-25 21:45:28 UTC
Are you sure your GPS module has the correct settings of 9600 8-O-1 TSIP
IN & TSIP OUT?
Lizeth Norman
2014-07-26 03:11:06 UTC
Jason,
If the device (gps) reports the firmware and satellites correctly (to the
ts 2100), I would assume so.
No other reasonable explanation exists.
Turns out that the original receiver was a svee6. Found the manual for the
gps and am comparing the default messages with the ace III.
Norm
Hal Murray
2014-07-26 08:14:35 UTC
Post by Lizeth Norman
Turns out that the original receiver was a svee6.
Let me know if you want a real SVee6. I've got 2 left. :)

---

I also have a pair of small boards that I don't have any info on.

PCB says Trimble, 39818-00-C. The 00 is written in by hand.
There is a big chip on the bottom that says Trimble. 144 quad flatpack.
It's got more stuff on the chip, but I can't read it.

The top has 2 big chips. One has a sticker: 39942-00
I'm guessing a CPU and ROM. The chip I'm calling
a CPU has a MX logo. 44 pin PLCC.

A can looks like a crystal/osc: 12.504

The PCB is (close to) 3 1/4 x 1 7/8.

Anybody recognize that?
These are my opinions. I hate spam.
Lizeth Norman
2014-07-26 09:08:12 UTC
Hal,
I may take you up on that. However, looking through the manual, it appears
that not all of that type/firmware support WRNO. Supposedly, based on my
digging, early ones did not, the later ones did.
Next step is to ensure that the number formatting output by the new clone
corresponds to the output of the sveesix. I'm curious, based on the fact
that the polled messages work (firmware and satellite id\signal strength)
and what I would assume as "broadcast or standard TSIP" messages do not.
Norm n3ykf
Electric Cat
2014-12-08 06:26:18 UTC
Post by Hal Murray
I also have a pair of small boards that I don't have any info on.
PCB says Trimble, 39818-00-C. The 00 is written in by hand.
There is a big chip on the bottom that says Trimble. 144 quad flatpack.
Anybody recognize that?
Well, this is Trimble Lassen ACE-III board. I have some of them. You could
connect them to your system via 8-pin connector. There are two serial
channels (one is for TSIP protocol, another is for NMEA), voltage levels
are CMOS and you should power the board with 5 volts. You can take the
pinout from Lassen LP board.

Jason Rabel
2014-07-26 14:04:51 UTC
Post by Hal Murray
It's got more stuff on the chip, but I can't read it.
I compared against my Trimble modules... Those are ACE-III receivers.
They are newer models (but backwards compatible) with the SveeSix... They
are also what you *usually* find in a Tymserve TS2100.

Don't get rid of them, they are very hard to find these days! If you
don't want them, contact me off-list if you want to sell them!
R.Phillips
2014-07-27 12:10:11 UTC
Jason
Re: Datum TS2100

I have only recently obtained a Datum 2100 GPS - its working fine, but it
has been suggested that the Oscillator is not disciplined by the GPS - can
somebody confirm this ? A brief look inside has established that it has a
Trimble GPS unit, which would seem to be the same as per your discussion. Is
it possible to obtain the Technical Manual for this equipment ?
Thanks
Roy