Fwd: IFCS-EFTF 2019: Call for Papers
2018-09-21 20:41:06 UTC
Fellow time-nuts,

This just came in, and my first thought is to send it to you. Consider
writing a paper and presentation, consider submitting it, consider to be
part of the professional community if you do not already do this.
Regardless, I see many talented folks here, some professional, some very
advanced amateurs, and regardless, I think more people can contribute
and with that improve the exchange of ideas and experience, we can have
the community flourish.

So, I know that I should try my best to write up one or two things. You
should too!

I want more people to get experience, acknowledgment and better ability
to contribute to the field.

2018-09-21 21:45:24 UTC
I wholeheartedly endorse Magnus's recommendation regarding refereed
publications and presentations. Those of us who have made our careers in
academia accept the obligation to research and publish as critical to
promotion, tenure, even continued employment. Yes, it can be intimidating
at first. In the hypercompetitive world of academe you can take the
occasional pounding but the act of committing your ideas to print and
laying them before your peers sharpens your thinking, broadens and deepens
your knowledge, and brings you into contact with some very bright
individuals.

Go for it, gents. The rewards are plentiful.

Bill
Post by Magnus Danielson
[...]
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government
when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

We may be surprised at the people we find in heaven. God has a soft spot
for sinners. His standards are quite low.
--Desmond Tutu
and
Magnus Danielson
2018-09-21 23:06:32 UTC
Hi again,

Besides, I'm now part of the Joint Technical Program Committee, group 2.
I want to see contributions from some of you to brighten up my
review-work! :)

instructions:* http://ifcs-eftf2019.org/ <http://ifcs-eftf2019.org/>

<http://ieee-uffc.us9.list-manage.com/vcard?u=868cb5d9842244c47f5eef6a1&id=767ea70f2a>>
and follow the instructions ther
Chris Howard
2018-09-22 11:42:59 UTC
I read these "calls for papers" things and try to think of
something "meta" since I am not anywhere near the 'bleeding edge'
of any such topic.  Maybe a survey of the number of NTP-using
devices in the world  (people love charts and statistics),
or something about the history of something.

Hey, one of you shy geniuses could write the paper and
I go present it?  That would work until Q&A time.
and follow the
William H. Fite
2018-09-22 15:10:44 UTC
That happens more often than you might think. Many and many a post doc has
labored long hours to complete and write up a piece of research only to see
it published under their boss's name.

Attila Kinali
2018-10-10 14:36:16 UTC
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 06:42:59 -0500
Post by Chris Howard
I read these "calls for papers" things and try to think of
something "meta" since I am not anywhere near the 'bleeding edge'
of any such topic.  Maybe a survey of the number of NTP-using
devices in the world  (people love charts and statistics),
or something about the history of something.
You don't need to be at near the bleeding edge for a successful
paper. There are still a lot of questions that nobody has asked,
much less answered. A lot of these questions arise only when
you work in the trenches and try to properly understand what
is going on. So, if you think you have something that nobody
has writen about before, please do so.

Attila Kinali
--
Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious
after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes

2018-10-10 22:55:35 UTC
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Howard
I read these "calls for papers" things and try to think of
something "meta" since I am not anywhere near the 'bleeding edge'
of any such topic.  Maybe a survey of the number of NTP-using
devices in the world  (people love charts and statistics),
or something about the history of something.
You don't need to be at near the bleeding edge for a successful
paper. There are still a lot of questions that nobody has asked,
much less answered. A lot of these questions arise only when
you work in the trenches and try to properly understand what
is going on. So, if you think you have something that nobody
has writen about before, please do so.
I agree fully.

As you come in and view things with a fresh pair of eyes, seeing
problems, trying to make sense of things you bring up topics that others
overlooked. Very often you get "We never spent much time on that" or
similar comments from the folks you thought had checked *EVERYTHING*.

I intentionally sent the Call for Papers here, since I think there might
be more people out there that can contribute.