XKCD on time :)
Add Reply
Hal Murray
2018-09-28 08:58:46 UTC
https://xkcd.com/2050/

A new meaning for rubber seconds.
--
These are my opinions. I hate spam.

Eric Scace
2018-09-28 13:16:28 UTC
Which, if I recall correctly, was the system used in Japan immediately before the adoption of Western time methods. Each day’s interval between sunrise-sunset was divided into a six units… so, in comparison with an absolute scale, the absolute duration of each unit of time varied from day to day and location to location.

More details here <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clock>.
and follow th
Peter Vince

jimlux
2018-09-28 14:04:49 UTC
Post by Eric Scace
Which, if I recall correctly, was the system used in Japan immediately before the adoption of Western time methods. Each day’s interval between sunrise-sunset was divided into a six units… so, in comparison with an absolute scale, the absolute duration of each unit of time varied from day to day and location to location.
More details here <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clock>.
and in the Middle East, as well - There were even fancy watches made
that automatically compensated given the date, so sunrise is at 6,
midday at noon and sunset at 6.

I wrote some software to drive a 3325 via GPIB which in turn drove a
battery wall clock to do this (that project started out as a "mars time"
clock..) Kind of a waste of time (is such a thing possible on
time-nuts?) but it was an interesting problem to take a "tick per
second" analog indicator and turn it into what is essentially an
"arbitrary rate clock". You could also use it to make a "where is the
mooon or mars" indicator.

and follow th
Warren Kumari
2018-09-28 19:09:38 UTC
I'm also into mechanical watches (and am still lusting after one of the
analog clocks from the front of an HP 5061 Cesium), and watched a
fascinating video of a well known Japanese watchmaker (Masahiro Kikuno)
making a wristwatch which displayed this - the "trick" is to keep the
oscillator and hands moving as normal, and "simply" move the hour indices
around. Well worth watching -

(skip to ~15 minutes if you want to skip the background)

Post by Hal Murray
https://xkcd.com/2050/
A new meaning for rubber seconds.
--
These are my opinions. I hate spam.
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
---maf
and
David Van Horn
2018-09-28 15:36:00 UTC
When I am global dictator, we will all run on GMT and all time zones, summer time, DST and similar nonsense will be abolished.
I am accepting campaign donations! 😊

2018-09-28 19:32:09 UTC
Don't expect a donation, but I'll vote for you.

Here in the State of Arizona, except for one Indian reservation and a Mormon
community that straddle state boundaries, we don't mess with our clocks.  I like
to think that we are smart enough to know that you can't actually "save"
daylight by adjusting a clock.  Of course the rest of the country believes
otherwise, and is so parochial in belief as to continuing to use for example,
"EST" when they actually mean, "EDT."

Hence, it is not uncommon to miss TV shows, podcasts, etc when they are
advertised as being presented at XX EST.  For you hams, I had a go round with
ARRL for a couple of years because an organization that promotes
"communication", refused to publish Field Day schedules that included GMT (UTC).
The guy in charge gave me so much grief I took ARRL out of my estate plan and
let management know it.  Then they added UTC.

Wes Stewart  N7WS
Neville Michie
2018-09-29 00:18:10 UTC
Of course you should all realise that "daylight saving”
was introduced by the Guild of Clock Repairers.
With a small supply of work they received an enormous boost
with all the damage done to clocks by owners winding the hands
backwards and forwards.
cheers,
Neville Michie