Nice Dual mixer and 2 channel counter for DMTD work
c***@juno.com
2018-04-14 22:08:49 UTC
Bert and Juerg designed this adaptation of the Riley DMTD.
I populated the boards and installed them into a case from
an HP GPIB adaptor. I've run a bunch of plots over the last
two weeks and am very impressed with it and it's going to
replace my NBS106D!
With proper attention to setup it has a
baseline performance of 3.0X10-14th at 1 sec. Can be used
with 5 or 10Mhz inputs and 1 or 10Hz offsets. Runs on +-5VDC
and draws little current. Attached is a PIX of my unit in its
case. I tried to use the original power supply and although it
worked I decided to use an external supply so the original
GPIB power supply board is not being used. The 2 channel
counter is a "ping-pong" design with no dead time. It also has a nifty
feature. A switch can select either the A or B input to be
counted as period. This allows you to select the channel you
have the reference connected to and note the value. Then you
can select the DUT channel and use the count to match the DUT
against the Reference. You can output to USB or RS232 (through
an adaptor).

Cheers,

Corby
Ralph Devoe
2018-04-19 04:20:34 UTC
Are schematics available?

Ralph
ew via time-nuts
2018-04-19 10:08:49 UTC
Attached is a picture of the D/M as we use it. Corby has added things making it difficult to see. Only thing missing is Offset OCXO.
We have worked off list with some members and have run out of boards. Juerg is working with a German time nut on fine tuning Riley, just very minor. Boards will be ordered within a week. Once we have results we will gladly share info.
The ping pong counter is implemented in a gate array. My first time nut project was a NBS dual mixer and 4 channel counter. Once I met Juerg we switched to G/A and Riley.  Better results. The biggest advantage with the Altera G/A is that when you make mistakes you do not have to wait for new boards.
Recently I decided to go back to discrete IC's in case some where interested. Did a board that would have to be checked. I asked Corby to mention the project to gauge interest. Based on the response  that project is on hold.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 4/19/2018 1:01:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, ***@gmail.com writes:

Are schematics available?

Ralph