KS-24361 Lady Heather problem
ew via time-nuts
2018-06-16 12:00:25 UTC
My partner in crime Juerg has problems running LadyHeather  with the KS-24361. Does any one run it  and can help us, may want to doit off list.

Thank you   Bert Kehren
Mod Mix
2018-06-16 13:11:10 UTC
My partner in crime Juerg has problems running LadyHeather with the KS-24361. Does any one run it and can help us, may want to doit off list.
Thank you Bert Kehren
What kind of problem?
Ulli

I've some issues from time to time: LH just freezes - not investigated
further, yet.
Clint Jay
2018-06-16 13:24:35 UTC
I’ve experienced similar random freezing which turned out to be the
Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adapter, changing to a CH340 device fixed it.
Might be worth a look?
My partner in crime Juerg has problems running LadyHeather with the
KS-24361. Does any one run it and can help us, may want to doit off list.
Thank you Bert Kehren
What kind of problem?
Ulli
I've some issues from time to time: LH just freezes - not investigated
further, yet.
Clint. M0UAW IO83

*No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*
Adrian Godwin
2018-06-16 14:41:05 UTC
I was running two for a while, then needed the FTDI converters for
something else. I've just reinstated one with a CH340 converter, will see
if it has any problems.
I'm currently connected to a ref-0, which is itself connected to another
ref-0 modified so it functions as a ref-1.

I've used various RS422 converters : abusing RS232 is probably the worst
option. There are alleged RS232 converters available on ebay which turn out
to be TTL and are therefore closer to the right voltage specs than the
product they clone badly :). However, you probably need to bias the RS422
levels of the KS24361 to make them reliable.

I've recently found these converters :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//253141528330 (other sellers also have them).

I haven't opened the case to find out what drivers are used (the USB chip
is CH340), but they're extremely cheap and nicely packaged with leds for
RX/TX and apparently proper RS422 levels. You can chop the mini-din
connector off, fit a DE-9 and you've got a perfect KS2461 connection. The
wires are long, flexible and, IMHO, a nice colour :)

Connections for a male DE-9 plug to fit the KS24361 J8 are :

3 shield
4 brown
5 orange
8 black
9 red

Many converters are sold with DE-9 connectors but there seems to be no
sensible connection standard so you end up making a conversion lead anyway.
The smallest, neatest possible converter is FTDI's USB-RS422-WE-1800-BT
which has the circuitry in the USB plug and wire ends for you to fit a
DE-9. But they're $36 or so....
ew via time-nuts

Jerry Hancock
2018-06-18 15:19:15 UTC
I had the same issue until I switched to a real RS422 converter instead of just using the rs232 types and hoping for luck. Also, as there are both positive and negative terminals on emit and receive, I think switching from one to the other kept it from hanging. But by then I had ordered the cheap RS422 converters and installed them anyway.

If you want the parts I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RS485-RS422-Serial-Converter-Adapter-Cable-w-FTDI-Chip-FOR-Windows-10-7/192401198462?hash=item2ccc014d7e:g:hdsAAOSwCMFaC7H9 <https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RS485-RS422-Serial-Converter-Adapter-Cable-w-FTDI-Chip-FOR-Windows-10-7/192401198462?hash=item2ccc014d7e:g:hdsAAOSwCMFaC7H9>

Regards,

Jerry
Adrian Godwin
2018-06-18 15:26:05 UTC
I've been running Lady Heather against a KS24361 again for a few days, and
found it working reasonably well. It's the X11 version, running on Debian 9
with the xfce window manager.

it hasn't locked up, but I generally have it on an alternative screen
(Workspace in xfce terms - not another monitor) and occasionally it will
bleep for no obvious reason. Quite often (notably, but not only, after a
bleep), swapping to that screen will show it has having received some
command so that it's displaying something other than the default - perhaps
a zoomed in display of some sort. Not always the same thing. ESCAPE reverts
to the normal display.

I feel as though it's getting some unexpected window manager events and
handling them in unintended ways.

I also just tried a second RS422 cable to the (fake) ref-1 unit, running
two copies of lady heather each with their own config file : one uses
/dev/ttyUSB0 and the other /dev/ttyUSB1. This is fairly broken, though I'm
convinced i've done it OK in the past. The first copy blanks its display
while the second appears to take it over, yet using the other (as expected)
serial port.

I say take it over because instead of updating a few times and then
settling down to a slowly changing display, the second window seems to
quickly show the whole content while the first goes dark. As though there's
some confusion over which instance owns which window.

All this makes me think there's a bug in the window event handling
somewhere and in your case perhaps it receives something that makes it
freeze.

Mark, is there a way to get LH to log its UI events so I can track what
it's trying to process ?
Post by Clint Jay
I’ve experienced similar random freezing which turned out to be the
Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adapter, changing to a CH340 device fixed
it.
Might be worth a look?
Jerry Hancock
2018-06-18 19:29:36 UTC
I have two copies running on windows, each with separate config files, each running to separate sub rs422 adapters. I don’t have them running from separate directories but you might want to try that. Setup two complete copies with separate directories, config files, etc.
Regards,

Jerry
Post by Clint Jay
I’ve experienced similar random freezing which turned out to be the
Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adapter, changing to a CH340 device fixed
it.
Might be worth a look?