TymServe 2100 OCXO (MTI 240-0530-D)
Gerhard Wittreich
2015-06-02 13:32:25 UTC
I just discovered that a correct model MTI OCXO (MTI 240-0530-D) for the
TS-2100 is currently available on eBay. In the past MTI 240's of different
versions have been available but unsuitable for the TS-2100. Price is
$45.99 + shipping. I have one on the way.

NEW Symmertricom BC11736-1000 MRI 240-0530-D 010285-0530-D Crystal
Oscillator
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Symmertricom-BC11736-1000-MRI-240-0530-D-010285-0530-D-Crystal-Oscillator-/131510917585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9ea959d1>

Now, has anyone replaced a stock oscillator with the correct MTI 240 in a
TS-2100? Glad to take this off-line of the topic is not of general
interest.

Gerhard R. Wittreich, P.E.
Robert Watzlavick
2015-06-03 02:41:24 UTC
See the thread titled "Upgrading TS2100 from TCXO to OCXO" around
3/30/2011. I used a different OCXO but one that had a compatible EFC range.

It's funny, a few weeks ago before the TS2100s started acting up, I
would have picked up one of those OCXOs in a heartbeat. I've had an
eBay watch set up for years waiting for that part. But now I'm not so
sure I want it anymore.

-Bob
Gerhard Wittreich
2015-06-03 14:14:13 UTC
I'm giving the entire rebuild a try including the Ace Trimble III clone
form Heol Design. I'm not sure it is practical but I like the idea of
keeping an old unit running. I read the post you mentioned which does a
nice job of discussing the firmware settings. I was hoping for some
practical tips on removing and reinstalling the oscillators. Is it a
straight forward desolder/resolder? Is there an insulating pad (thermal or
electrical) under the OCXO? Any pitfalls?

Gerhard R Wittreich, P.E.
<
Andrew Cooper
2015-06-03 19:49:47 UTC
Keep us updated on any progress (or pitfalls here). I just installed our new MicroSemi S350's a few minutes ago;) and pulled a couple TS2100's out of the rack. We would like to update these and have one of the Heol GPS units on order. Ours have OXCO's already, so it should just be the GPS.

Andrew

Gerhard Wittreich
2015-06-06 14:57:27 UTC
I completed the TCXO to OCXO (MTI 240-0530-D) upgrade yesterday with no
issues. TCXO is a bit troublesome to remove (Four through the hole
mounts. Can made stiff and difficult to move any corner much. Slowly
worked my way around the four mounts repeatedly until they came loose.) but
a bit of patience goes a long way. You will need to de-solder the mounting
holes for the OCXO but that went well. On restart I updated the two
setting Jason Rabel indicated in his Mar 30 2011 post on [Time-Nuts]:

OCXO (MTI 240-0530-D)
---------------------
gain = -20
filter = 0.9995000

and then wrote that to eeprom using:

eng eeprom gain -20

eng eeprom filter 0.9995

Make sure to short jumper JP4 on the board so the eeprom write will
work. After restart the OCXO took about 3 hours to stabilize before
"Locked" status was achieved.
I did a cold restart (Power Off --> Power On did not wait for the OCXO
to cool down) after 24 hours and got "Locked" status in less than 20
min.
Now waiting on the new Trimble III clone from Heol to finish the upgrade.

Gerhard R Wittreich, P.E.
Andrew Cooper
2015-06-10 03:28:20 UTC
Gerhard ,

Which firmware version are you running in the 2100? We never updated to the most recent due to the leap second thing. We do have the various firmware versions on disk.

Andrew

I'm giving the entire rebuild a try including the Ace Trimble III
clone form Heol Design. I'm not sure it is practical but I like the
idea of keeping an old unit running. I read the post you mentioned
which does a nice job of discussing the firmware settings. I was
hoping for some practical tips on removing and reinstalling the
oscillators. Is it a straight forward desolder/resolder? Is there an
insulating pad (thermal or
electrical) under the OCXO? Any pitfalls?
Gerhard R Wittreich, P.E.