New very small OCMO
Chris Caudle
2018-11-16 17:03:11 UTC
I did not see any mention of this on the list. Could be interesting in
some contexts:
https://www.sitime.com/company/news/press-release/sitime-launches-emerald-platform-game-changing-mems-timing-solution-5g

An oven controlled MEMS oscillator. I saw a sample recently, the idea
seems to be to take a small MEMS based temperature compensated oscillator
circuit, and put it in a very small oven (9x7x6.5 mm). Because the
circuit already has temperature compensation (pretty intrinsic to MEMS
designs) the oven control does not have to be quite so tight, giving some
flexibility on size.
It is not a direct replacement for an SC cut quartz, but in contexts where
low power and small size is more important than lowest phase noise it
could be very useful. Stability and accuracy should be pretty reasonable
(claimed as 5ppb), and the aging claims look good, although I do not have
a good understanding of aging process in MEMS based oscillators, so I
don't know how much faith to put in low aging claims yet. ADEV is quoted
as "2e-11 ADEV at 10 sec under airflow."
--
Chris Caudle