Microsemi versus Spetracom
Andrew Cooper
2015-05-06 19:58:47 UTC
So, yes, our old TS2100's suffered the 1995 bug over the weekend like all of the others in the world. Kludged into working for the moment using 1PPS and two units.

I do need to buy a couple replacements, good time is critical around an observatory, looking at a $16K purchase order. We have quoted both the SecureSync from SpectraCom and the S350 from Microsemi, both fully spec'd out with IRIG and IEEE1588.

I am not really a time expert, just an everyday electrical engineer. Thrust into the problem three days ago. I have learned a bit reading through the Time Nuts archive... Thanks!

Anything I should be aware of with these units. Any opinions on this purchase?

Thanks for your advice,
Andrew

Andrew Cooper
Electrical Engineer
W. M. Keck Observatory
808-881-3862
mailto:***@keck.hawaii.edu

Bob Darlington
2015-05-06 21:35:12 UTC
My personal S300 died last month but otherwise I've fielded them in hot,
cold, dusty, wet, and dry environments and they seem to keep going. It
passes the initial self tetst but won't fully boot. I suspect CF card
failure. Microsemi won't talk to me without an active support contract.

Due to its death, I'm now working on a BeagleBone Black "cape" specifically
for M12+ or Furuno timing receivers. I appreciate COTS hardware, but I'm a
hobbyist. Mine will be cheaper, but I can't vouch for more reliable yet.

-Bob
Brian M
2015-05-06 22:38:49 UTC
I worked with the Microsemi boxes at my previous employer. If you suspect
it's the CF, there should actually be two in there. You might be able to
revive it by taking the cards out, making backups with dd, and flashing out
to new cards. This might take some trial and error (definitely preserve
your card backups and know which card-slot each image came from).

If I still know what I'm talking about, the reason for two cards was to
allow recovery after failed software updates. This led to some interesting
bugs around configuration if each card had a different version of the
software. The solution I was given at the time was to always upgrade,
reboot, upgrade, reboot. There may have been some factory resets in that
recommendation as well. (though probably just to recover from the bad state
it was in)

The common failure-mode I know of is actually in the power supply. It would
be obvious if this is the case, because the displays didn't light at all in
that failure condition. Assuming that it's not the PS, I'd want to start by
making the backups of the CFs and seeing if you can get it back into
service on some new cards. It's possible that if one is corrupted, flashing
the non-corrupted one to two cards might do the trick. Just a guess.

I'd be happy to provide a bit more detail, but would need to know more
about its death and current state.

- Brian
David & Laura
2015-05-06 22:58:22 UTC
I had this happen with my S250. It hangs during boot with the spinning
hourglass stopping, right?

The problem ended up being that the processor module had come slightly
unseated. The initial boot messages on the display are independent from the
functioning of the processor module.

Thanks,

David Slik
VE7FIM
Bob Darlington
2015-05-07 00:56:58 UTC
That's what mine is doing. The hourglass stops and a random ascii
character appears overlapped with the top left corner of the hourglass.
David and Brian, I'll ping you guys off list so we don't clutter this place
up.

Thanks,
Bob
Post by Bob Darlington
hobbyist. Mine will be cheaper, but I can't vouch for more reliable
yet.
Post by Bob Darlington
-Bob
Bob Camp

Sean Gallagher
2015-05-07 01:28:07 UTC
It's possible that the Heol Design Trimble III replacement cards (N014 & N024) will correct the 1995 issue. They are sending my company a couple now for us to test in a trusted time infrastructure which includes 2 TS2100's. Unfortunately they were not able to get a straight answer from Trimble so experimenting seems to be the only way to find out.

Senr from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

Lizeth Norman
2015-05-07 09:31:13 UTC
Be aware that the early TS2100's have different (SV6) gps receivers
than the later (ACE III) ones. Both speak TSIP, but some of the
commands are different.

Mine went to the boneyard a few months ago.

Björn