Looking for Motorola VP Oncore for HP 58503a
Add Reply
Matthew D'Asaro
2018-09-27 04:03:47 UTC
I just subscribed to this list but I have been interested in time
standards for some years and have been reading the archives. My specific
interest is in an accurate frequency standard for my home lab so that I
can do my own "calibrations" of the ovenized timebases used in
oscilloscopes, counters, synthesized generators and the like. I had
originally thought it would be really cool to own my own primary
standard and have been trolling eBay for some time looking for an HP
5061A, but I never really wanted to spend the big $$$$ or gamble on a
unit in unknown condition having a good tube so I sat on the idea for a
number of years. However, I have recently started working on a project
where I really need an accurate frequency reference and after
researching GPSDOs I decided that is the way I would go.

Last month I bought on eBay a used HP 58503a and matching antenna.
Unfortunatly, the system would not work (the HP wouldn't even finish
booting) and when I opened it up I found that the GPS board is
completely missing. After reading a bunch of back posts from this group,
it appears that what I need is a Motorola VP Oncore board and that other
versions (such as the UT+) will NOT work. Unfortunatly, I don't see any
VP Oncore boards for sale on eBay or elsewhere. This leads me to my
questions. First, am I correct that I can't use any Oncore version
except the VP in my 58503a and second, does anyone know of a source for
an Oncore VP?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew D'Asaro

Mike Cook
2018-09-27 06:52:36 UTC

If no one on the list has a spare one, you might try calling synergy systems as you are in the US. They have adapter boards built for the M12 receiver which have a VP footprint and if the doc is correct can be configured as 6/8 chan VPs. The M12 can be found at reasonable prices on eBay.
See: <http://www.synergy-gps.com/images/stories/pdf/m12_adapter_tn487%20070209.pdf>

They also have a LEA-6T board in M12 card format which can be used with that adaptor board. You would of course need to check the headroom needed for the receiver + adaptor.
See : <http://www.synergy-gps.com/images/stories/pdf/ssr-6t%20tn%20493-c.pdf>
Hi,
[...]
I am pretty sure that you need a VP. I have a Z3801A which is much the same as the 58503A IIRC. I have tried GT+, UT+ in that but they don’t work.
Thanks in advance,
Matthew D'Asaro
People have only as much liberty as they have the intelligence to want and the courage to take.

Emma Goldman

and f
David J Taylor via time-nuts
2018-09-27 07:03:47 UTC
[]
However, I have recently started working on a project
where I really need an accurate frequency reference and after
researching GPSDOs I decided that is the way I would go.
[]
Thanks in advance,
Matthew D'Asaro
===================================

Matthew,

I know it's not HP, but a good GPSDO at a good price is:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=301

and you can program the output frequency over a wide range. Takes up far
less space and far less power. I'm using mine with my IC-R8600 receiver.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-***@blueyonder.co.uk