Trimble Thunderbolt Start Up RS-232 Communications Glitch
Add Reply
skipp via time-nuts
2018-09-04 19:54:35 UTC
Re: Trimble Thunderbolt Start Up RS-232 Communications Glitch

Hello to the Group,

Would anyone be able to help provide a bit of insight
or experience in dealing with what I call the an initial
Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO RS-232 communications glitch
(during initial power on/up).

I've noticed some of the programs (Lady Heather) and
external status monitor devices (my own), sometimes
seem to initially stutter, freeze or even lock up if
the RS-232 cable connection is made (as one would expect
to be normal).

Establishing a working initial power on/up, serial
port monitor function can require a physical disconnect
from the GPSDO. Once everything is on, the physical RS-232
connection can be made and monitor functions operate
well going forward.

Would there be a hardware or software "serial comm
preamble" or power-on sequence, best order of
operation? The physical disconnect RS-232 comm
reset is more than casually inconvenient.

Thank you in advance for your replies

Cheers,

Skipp

skipp025 at jah who dot calm.

Artek Manuals
2018-09-04 20:26:58 UTC
You using a mother board serial port or a USB adapter? Not all USB/RS232
adapters are created equal. Drivers for brand "X" vs brand "Y"  can make
a difference,. I would go down in the lab to see what I have that is
currently working but it is at least 5 years old and you wouldn't likely
find it anyway. How your operating system handles the drivers and the
polling process will also make a difference. They are not generally
expensive so you may have to play mix and match till you get a combo
that is stable.

Tell us what operating system and how the COM port is derived for starters

-DC
Post by skipp via time-nuts
[...]
Dave
***@ArtekManuals.com
www.ArtekManuals.com

---

Didier Juges
2018-09-07 00:03:34 UTC
Not sure what you refer to. I have made a large number of
microcontroller-based Thunderbolt monitor kits and they do not have that
issue.
In any event, a problem like this cannot be the fault of the Thunderbolt,
all it does is send data. It's up to the receiver to process it, including
properly picking up data mid-stream.

As Dave pointed out, if you are using USB-serial adapters and a PC, all
bets are off. There are many substandard devices in that category.
My personal preference is for the Silabs CP210x series and the Chinese
CH340/341. Stay away from the Prolific and FTDI parts unless you know
exactly what you are getting. They have been extensively cloned with
extremely poor quality parts and the legitimate vendors have mangled up
their drivers in order to try and prevent the clones from working with
those (and in some cases intentionally trying to damage the device), the
net result being a total mess of unreliable parts and software.
Didier Juges
2018-09-07 00:07:23 UTC
Interestingly, Gregory just posted about his success with some FTDI
USB/RS-232 cables that are the real thing in a separate thread.
Post by Didier Juges
[...]