Motorola GPS Antenna?
Dan Rae
2018-05-21 16:13:27 UTC
Found on eBay with no further information, can anyone identify?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-MOD-Motorola-Antenna/323177970249?hash=item4b3ee87a49:g:tHIAAOSwUCZavUAe
It looks like the standard "Marine" antenna, probably 5v, loads of gain
(30 dB?), like the one I have up on my roof.  There should be a part
number under the rubber gasket if you want to ask the seller to have a look.

Dan

Gregory Beat
2018-05-21 19:44:20 UTC
I grew up downstate — NE of Quincy, IL and the Motorola TV mfg. operations at Quincy closed before the Franklin Park (North) plant. While there were assurances that Panasonic would continue operations at Quincy, local officials were caught “off guard” with decision to close a Motorola plant that was less than 15 years old.
My high school electronics instructor (former Motorola) came to new vocational wing of high school (1970) as a result of those layoffs and closings.

greg
==
Since timing is everything to TimeNuts ….. :)

The Motorola TV plant ( known as the Franklin Park North plant, not to be confused with Franklin Park South where they made …. errr ….. oscillators ) to Panasonic in 1974.

The whole transaction came as quite a shock to the people involved. The guy running
the division was very much caught off guard….. He happened to be presenting to a group of us the day after the announcement ….

The Panasonic cell tower timing antenna shows up under a *lot* of different labels. They do indeed sell it under the Panasonic brand name as well. It is regarded as reasonably bullet proof in terms of blocking cell tower RFI.

2018-05-21 19:17:24 UTC

Since timing is everything to TimeNuts ….. :)

The Motorola TV plant ( known as the Franklin Park North plant, not to be confused with Franklin Park South where they made
…. errr ….. oscillators ) to Panasonic in 1974. The whole transaction came as quite a shock to the people involved. The guy running
the division was very much caught off guard….. He happened to be presenting to a group of us the day after the announcement ….

The Panasonic cell tower timing antenna shows up under a *lot* of different labels. They do indeed sell it under the Panasonic brand
name as well. It is regarded as reasonably bullet proof in terms of blocking cell tower RFI.

Bob
Motorola has worked with Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd (now known as Panasonic Corporation) since 1960s. Motorola sold their television division to Matsushita in 1970.

I believe that Motorola and Panasonic jointly developed this GPS antenna. While Motorola exited the GPS receiver business over a decade ago, Panasonic continued to OEM the VIC-100 antenna.
Synergy has a product page and data sheet for the Panasonic VIC-100 antenna.
http://www.synergy-gps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=139&Itemid=114
greg, w9gb
Sent from iPhone 6s
Clint Jay
Art Sepin
2018-05-23 23:31:31 UTC
Clint,

You have found a Motorola Timing2000 GPS antenna. Please see the Timing2000 GPS Antenna Specifications and Timing2000 GPS antenna technical presentation on this page:
http://www.synergy-gps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=89

This was a popular, Motorola designed GPS antenna manufactured by Yokowo of Japan for Motorola's CDMA cell site timing products and for distributors like Synergy for general sales. After Motorola exited the GPS business in June of 2005, Synergy continued to sell this design as a Synergy Timing3000 (no Motorola Logo) until it went EOL many years later.

Art Sepin