FTDI UT232R-200 USB to Serial Converter (BARGAIN ALERT)
Add Reply
Gregory Beat via time-nuts
2018-09-05 17:11:44 UTC
I am constantly amazed by owners of Laptops and Desktop computers, without RS-232 serial ports, that do not own a high quality (well supported) USB-RS232 converter cable.
==
I have posted this “good opportunity” for acquiring the FTDI UT232R-200 cable,
on other amateur radio forums. eBay Bargain Price: $10.00 and FREE Shipping.

eBay seller: geekfurb (Beltsville, MD)
eBay auction #232729231633
==
FAQ:
1.) Yes, I purchased two (2) of these FTDI cables from this eBay seller (weeks ago).
127 cables have been sold on eBay since early summer.
2.) Yes, they are genuine FTDI. Factory sealed in FTDI labeled anti-static bags.
I used FTDI’s FT-PROG EEPROM Tool to examine these cables. Unique serial number on each cable.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_Prog
3.) My desktop computers use MS Win10 Pro x64 : ALL Automatically detect the converter cable as FTDI, install VCP drivers, and assign unique COMx.
NO driver CD’s or hunting for Chinese clone cable drivers.
4.) Since the FTDI cables have unique Serial numbers, Win10 OS remembers the COMx assignment (VCP assignments) for that specific cable. Tested this with two (2) cables received. This can be changed in Windows’ Device Manager.
5.) I use FTDI cables because this UK company worked with Microsoft and Linux, when USB started 20+ years ago. FTDI drivers support the widest number of computer OS.

FTDI UT232R-200 (scroll down page for UT232R-200)
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm

FTDI UT232R-200 Datasheet
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_UT232R-500.pdf

Digi-Key ($30.00 each)
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ftdi-future-technology-devices-international-ltd/UT232R-200/768-1084-ND/2441372

Greg, w9gb
Sent from iPad Air
and follow the instructions the
David Van Horn
2018-09-05 17:50:24 UTC
Edgeports are wonderful boxes if you buy them on Ebay etc.
I can usually grab an 8 port box for $50.
They just work.
VERY configurable.

and follo
Mark Sims
2018-09-05 23:11:30 UTC
I just bought a couple of Advantech AIMB-214E mini-ITX 1.86 GHz motherboards from a local surplus store for $25 ea (NIB). They have 6 genuine RS-232 ports (two can be configured for RS-422/485). Alas, the store don't do mail order and are currently out of stock (but the boards are around $50 on Ebay). And suitable cases/power supples look like at least $50. They can be run off of ***@2A from an on-board barrel connector.
Gregory Beat via time-nuts
2018-09-08 16:55:05 UTC
When I posted this “bargain” at time-nuts on Wednesday, Sept. 5
the seller had sold ~170. Today (Saturday), I see that sales are just short of 300.

So, time-nuts has market reach, and true bargain buyers :-)
BTW, let us know ... if you received a lemon.

greg, w9gb

==
FTDI UT232R-200 cable, eBay Bargain Price: $10.00 and FREE Shipping.
eBay seller: geekfurb (Beltsville, MD)
eBay auction #232729231633
and follow the instru