Looking for PZT3904T1G transistors
Add Reply
John Ackermann N8UR
2018-07-04 12:25:53 UTC
Dear Friends --

I need to find 150+ pieces of transistor type PZT3904T1G, SOT223 package
(with heatsink tab), equivalent to Digikey PZT3904T1G0SCT-ND.

These are used in the TNS-BUF buffer amplifier that we're trying to
manufacture, and they seem to be on worldwide shortage; none of the
usual sources can provide them prior to November (and that's a slip from
the originally-quoted August ship date).

I've found one source (Rochester Electronics) that seems to have them,
but they have a minimum order of 2778 pieces, which is a bit of overkill
compared to the 150 we need to build 50 boards. We'll use that source
if the other options turn up dry.

When I mentioned this previously, a couple of folks said they might have
some stashed away. I'd like to follow up on that offer -- if you can
supply some of these (ideally 150, but less will still help), please
contact me off-list at jra at febo dot com.

Thanks!
John

Attila Kinali
2018-07-04 13:28:52 UTC
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 08:25:53 -0400
Post by John Ackermann N8UR
I need to find 150+ pieces of transistor type PZT3904T1G, SOT223 package
(with heatsink tab), equivalent to Digikey PZT3904T1G0SCT-ND.
How about going for an equivalent type, like the CZT3904 from Central Semi?
Mouser seems to have 200 of them on stock[1]. I have not used something
from Central Semi so far, so I don't know their production quality.
But guessing from the circuit of the TNS-BUF, it's not too critical.

BTW: The transistors in the schematic of the TNS-BUF manual are
inconsitently marked.

Attila Kinali

[1] https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Central-Semiconductor/CZT3904-TR?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2fWiw99kSkYzPxmy7bnaX%2fesfk%3d
use without that foundation.

John Ackermann N8UR
2018-07-04 13:39:12 UTC
Thanks, Attila. Interesting that that part didn't show up when I was
searching for substitutes. I'll look into those.

Yes, the TNS-BUF schematic has a disconnect between assigned part
numbers and the notes. That's fixed in the revised version I'll upload
one of these days.

John
----
jimlux
2018-07-04 13:43:05 UTC
Post by John Ackermann N8UR
I've found one source (Rochester Electronics) that seems to have them,
but they have a minimum order of 2778 pieces, which is a bit of overkill
compared to the 150 we need to build 50 boards.  We'll use that source
if the other options turn up dry.
Rochester Electronics is the "leader in the trailing edge" of
electronics - they buy old stock and more importantly old mask sets and
fab equipment. Their whole business is supplying past end-of-life parts
for replacement purposes.

Their minimum order probably means they need to do a fab run on some 3"
or 4" wafers or something. Heck, just getting small diameter wafers is
probably a challenge.

They are an invaluable (but expensive) service for people maintaining or
trying to duplicate an older design.

and follow
Mike Cook
and fol
John Ackermann N8UR
2018-07-04 14:14:31 UTC
Hi Mike --

Well, that's a change (a good one) from what Newark said last week!
Then they were showing stock available from UK inventory in several
months. I just put in the order and will be interested to see if it
actually ships.

We've been checking all the usual sources and coming up dry. We found
one source who promised August delivery, but just pushed that back to
November.

Hopefully Newark will come through...
Post by John Ackermann N8UR
[...]
and follow the inst