USS Iowa needs an AN/URQ-23 (FE-1050A)
Add Reply
Nick England
2018-07-26 18:45:05 UTC
The USS Iowa "legacy radio gang" works to restore the ship's original
communications equipment back into operation. Some equipment just needs
renovation and/or recabling, while other items were removed at some point
in the ship's storage.
They have recently gotten one URQ-23 (FE-1050A) from a mothballed ship to
use as a frequency standard for radio gear throughout the ship, but are
still missing one.

If you can donate a URQ-23 to the ship, that would be great.
The USS Iowa contact is Gary Lopes <***@wa6mem.com>

If you have a URQ-23 for sale at a reasonable price, I'm willing to buy it
and donate it to the ship.
If you have one you'd like to trade for an FE rack that's sitting in my
basement, that would be excellent. My rack has
FE-1004A Frequency Standard
FE-32A Battery
FE-40A Phase Comparator
FE-5027A VLF Comp. & Std. Assy
Operating condition unknown, but it appears complete.

FWIW, my web page with USN time/freq standard equipment info is here -
http://www.navy-radio.com/freq-equip.htm

best regards,
Nick England
Chapel Hill NC
www.navy-radio.com
Mark G Thomas
2018-08-05 03:01:00 UTC
Nick,
Post by Nick England
The USS Iowa "legacy radio gang" works to restore the ship's original
communications equipment back into operation. Some equipment just needs
renovation and/or recabling, while other items were removed at some point
in the ship's storage.
They have recently gotten one URQ-23 (FE-1050A) from a mothballed ship to
use as a frequency standard for radio gear throughout the ship, but are
still missing one.
http://www.navy-radio.com/freq/urq23-iowa-02.jpg
I just so happen to have an URQ-23. I'll contact you off-list.

Mark
--
Mark G. Thomas (***@Misty.com), KC3DRE