Symmetricom (Datum/Microsemi) CS tubes after storage
Add Reply
paul swed
2018-06-20 23:52:41 UTC
Julien
Do you see any reduction in the current. It may be slight. If so time is
your friend. Let it cook.
If not KE5FX is a time nut also. Here is what he did.
http://www.ke5fx.com/cs.htm
Granted you need a 3KV supply and it is hazardous. I am not an expert on
your tube.
Others may have better insights.
Good luck.
Regards
Paul.
I recently picked up a used Cs clock (Symmetricom labelled Cs4000).
Sadly, it turns out to have been stored for about a year (at least, a
year since it was last claimed to lock) and doesn't appear to be locking.
I've had it on for about a month now, and ion pump current is still
quite high[1].
Given the unit is now over 10 years since manufacture, with power on
hours of ~5 years I'm guessing this now probably has a dead tube, and
unless I want to spring for a new tube I have a paperweight.
(That's the set that fires after alarms are cleared)
paul swed
2018-06-25 20:06:59 UTC
Julien
Wow chunk of money is correct for a new tube if even available.
But shipping south will be very costly.
Regards
Paul
Thanks for the on & off-list responses folk.
Sadly I didn't have a usable RS232 adapter set when I first powered this
on a month back. It's actually on a desk I'm borrowing in Sunnyvale[1]
(California), hoping to determine if it's worth the significant cost of
shipping it home to Sydney[2].
I don't have a 3kV supply myself, nor do I have a lab where I'd feel
safe messing with that sort of thing (the labs I could borrow around
here are all shared, and 3kV is not something leave where random people
could touch).
I guess I'll leave it for another month or so, hopefully in that time
I'll be able to see if there's an improving trend.
1: Just a few blocks from Stanford Research who, by the way, I'm not
having any luck trying get some replacement feet from, for some kit that
used to be rack mounted.
2: It's much cheaper if I were to pull the tube, since I could then just
take it as luggage on a flight home. But it'd make more sense to have it
dropped off to Microsemi for a tube swap, and have them ship it back to
Australia for me. Either way, that's a chunk of money I'm not sure I
want to pay right now.
Post by paul swed
Julien
Do you see any reduction in the current. It may be slight. If so time is
your friend. Let it cook.
If not KE5FX is a time nut also. Here is what he did.
http://www.ke5fx.com/cs.htm
Granted you need a 3KV supply and it is hazardous. I am not an expert on
your tube.
Others may have better insights.
Good luck.
Regards
Paul.
On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 7:32 PM, Julien Goodwin <
Post by paul swed
I've had it on for about a month now, and ion pump current is still
quite high[1].
Given the unit is now over 10 years since manufacture, with power on
hours of ~5 years I'm guessing this now probably has a dead tube, and
unless I want to spring for a new tube I have a paperweight.
https://julien.studio442.com.au/images/cs4000_monitor3.png
(That's the set that fires after alarms are cleared)
paul swed
2018-06-28 13:04:53 UTC
Julien
So are you able to carefully monitor the ion pump current?
Post by paul swed
Julien
Wow chunk of money is correct for a new tube if even available.
But shipping south will be very costly.
Regards
Paul
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 2:52 PM, Julien Goodwin <