Electronic Research Co. Precision Crystal Oscillator.
Dave B via time-nuts
2018-05-14 21:48:48 UTC
Hi.

A little while ago, I acquired an ERC EROS - 800-MIL-2  10MHz 24V
powered OCXO, dated 95-23.

Well, it seems to work, and comparing with the trusty Thunderbolt, once
warmed up and viewed on a dual channel 'scope, where one channel is
triggered from one source, the drift relative to each other is some 16
seconds for a full cycle of drift.

I've tried to lookup the spec of these things, and found surprisingly
little, other than scan's of oriental data sheets, that of course
neither I nor Google can translate.  But is that a reasonable sort of
performance?

I have no idea what it came out of, but it's surprisingly lightweight,
the outer casing get's "gently warm" after it's been powered on for an
hour or so, but otherwise appears fine.

Is it worth keeping as a portable reference, or ???

Regards to All.

Dave B.  (G8KBV/G0WBX)

2018-05-14 22:14:23 UTC

Keep in mind that roughly 99.9% of all OCXO’s produced went into OEM specific applications
with spec sheets that reflected the OEM’s requirements. Both the OEM and the manufacturer
had reasons to keep those documents private. In both cases it made it more difficult for
competitors to “clone” the OCXO or end product. That protected the investment made in the
design (which was considerable).

The first question on any surplus OCXO is - does the oven still work correctly? They can fail
in several ways. When they do, repair involves tearing into the part. For maximum performance
one needs temperature test capability to “fine tune” the settings. ( = the circuitry has a residual
temperature coefficient and the crystal is offset to null that out ).

Next question generally is - can it be tuned on frequency? If so it has some use.

Past that one would need to do ADEV and / or phase noise testing to work out what a specific
example is still doing.

Yes this sounds like a lot of work. None of it is crazy hard in a basement setting. You do
need to set up some gear to do it. Even that gear is not nutty to come up with ….

Bob