WTS: Efratom PTB-100 Precision Timebase
Add Reply
Don@True-Cal
2018-07-07 01:56:56 UTC
Time-Nuts Group,

For someone interested in working on the Rb package which I believe is the
FRK series. Worked great in my lab for years and recently started being real
slow to lock during power cycles and now won't lock at all. Not sure what
the fair asking price would be in this condition. Maybe someone has
repair/refurb experience with the Efratom FRK.

Contact me if interested.

Don

Attila Kinali
2018-07-07 19:32:24 UTC
On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 20:56:56 -0500
Post by ***@True-Cal
For someone interested in working on the Rb package which I believe is the
FRK series. Worked great in my lab for years and recently started being real
slow to lock during power cycles and now won't lock at all. Not sure what
the fair asking price would be in this condition. Maybe someone has
repair/refurb experience with the Efratom FRK.
It is likely that the lamp degraded to the point it doesnt produce enough
light anymore. People have reported that they could revive old lamps
by heating it up with a heat gun and let the rubidium condense again
at the nook where it is supposed to be.

Attila Kinali
--
<JaberWorky> The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
throw DARK chocolate at you.

Gregory Beat via time-nuts
2018-07-07 22:30:45 UTC
In 2008, G Molenkamp, VK3UM noted that of the 20 Efratom model FRS-C units he restored, component failure due to long heat exposure caused most of the failures.
http://www.vk3um.com/Rubidium%20rejuvination.pdf
He notes that some lamps had Rb splattered over the inside wall of the glass.
In these cases, the Rb material was not consolidated in the “pinch of the glass lamp”.
Using the “heat gun process” he was able to rejuvenate those Rb lamps.

w9gb
==
Gregory Beat via time-nuts
2018-07-07 22:50:40 UTC
At the 38th Annual Symposium on Frequency Control (1984), a presentation was given on the “Lifetime and Reliability of Rubidium Discharge Lamps for Use in Atomic Frequency Standards” by Aerospace Corp., Efraton-Ball, and EG&G.
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1537723/

The spattering of Rubidium on the lamp’s inside glass is discussed.

greg, w9gb
Sent from iPad Air
and fo
Magnus Danielson
2018-07-07 23:37:03 UTC
Post by Gregory Beat via time-nuts
In 2008, G Molenkamp, VK3UM noted that of the 20 Efratom model FRS-C units he restored, component failure due to long heat exposure caused most of the failures.
http://www.vk3um.com/Rubidium%20rejuvination.pdf
He notes that some lamps had Rb splattered over the inside wall of the glass.
In these cases, the Rb material was not consolidated in the “pinch of the glass lamp”.
Using the “heat gun process” he was able to rejuvenate those Rb lamps.
I later tried that method on my R&S XSRM rubidium, with good progress. I
have reported on that on the list way back. It took two attempts, one
just to realize that I needed to keep the pinch at the top, because that
is where the hot atoms go.

Essentially, the thin film of rubidium will consume too much of the
radiation to emit any useful amount of pumping light. Heating it has the
rubidium go into gas and then collect somewhere cold, so it's just about
making sure that somewhere cold isn't the glass where it is to emit light.

My XSRM have however other issues that I need to attend to.

and follo
Dana Whitlow
2018-07-08 00:02:39 UTC
Would't it be helpful to blow a gentle jet of cooler air on the tipoff
region during the
rejuvenation procedure, to encourage condensation there?

Dana
Hi,
and follow the in
Magnus Danielson
2018-07-08 00:08:16 UTC
Hi Dana,
Post by Dana Whitlow
Would't it be helpful to blow a gentle jet of cooler air on the tipoff
region during the
rejuvenation procedure, to encourage condensation there?
Sure, if you manage to hold it that way.
In the XSRM case, the lamp sits in a metallic holder which you then put
a metallic lamp-extractor on, which together creates a thermal cooling
to the back-end of the lamp assembly compared to the clear glass end.
This essentially achieves the same effect.

Dana
Gregory Beat via time-nuts
2018-07-08 16:39:46 UTC
Magnus -
When I scan/read the 1984 IEEE document, “Lifetime and Reliability of Rubidium Discharge Lamps for Use in Atomic Frequency Standards”
by Aerospace Corp., Efraton-Ball, and EG&G.
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1537723/
The failure of the rubidium lamps used on early NAVSTAR satellites, was the reason for in-depth studies of the Rb lamp, its lifetime and failure mechanism.

greg
Hi -
djl
2018-07-08 19:09:43 UTC
Greg et.al. IEEE stuff is just too expensive for single purchase. I have
found, to my sorrow over 40 odd years, that they also do not contain
<real> information, that is, info of actual use, because some other
company or person might actually benefit. In other words, the papers are
markers in the sand.
Now, this is my own opinion, a bit harsh, admittedly. Of course the
citations do need to be mentioned.
BTW, any published material generated with government funds that is not
classified belongs to the people, and is not copyrighted. I wonder if
that includes IEEE papers? that is, if anyone buys one, it can be copied
or distributed without restriction?
Not being in the lawyer class, I can't say for sure...
Thanks
Don
Post by Gregory Beat via time-nuts
Magnus -
When I scan/read the 1984 IEEE document, “Lifetime and Reliability of
Rubidium Discharge Lamps for Use in Atomic Frequency Standards”
by Aerospace Corp., Efraton-Ball, and EG&G.
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1537723/
The failure of the rubidium lamps used on early NAVSTAR satellites,
was the reason for in-depth studies of the Rb lamp, its lifetime and
failure mechanism.
greg
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi -
I later tried that method on my R&S XSRM rubidium, with good progress. I
have reported on that on the list way back. It took two attempts, one
just to realize that I needed to keep the pinch at the top, because that
is where the hot atoms go.
Essentially, the thin film of rubidium will consume too much of the
radiation to emit any useful amount of pumping light. Heating it has the
rubidium go into gas and then collect somewhere cold, so it's just about
making sure that somewhere cold isn't the glass where it is to emit light.
My XSRM have however other issues that I need to attend to.
Dr. Don Latham
PO Box 404, Frenchtown, MT, 59834
VOX: 406-626-4304

and follow t
jimlux
2018-07-08 20:00:20 UTC
Post by djl
Greg et.al. IEEE stuff is just too expensive for single purchase. I have
found, to my sorrow over 40 odd years, that they also do not contain
<real> information, that is, info of actual use, because some other
company or person might actually benefit. In other words, the papers are
markers in the sand.
Depends a lot on what you're looking at. I make pretty heavy use of
such papers on a day to day basis.

It is true that of late, there's an awful lot of "we built this
specialized circuit as part of a multiproject wafer using tool sets that
you can only afford if you're a billionaire or get them as part of a
university" stuff out there, which makes it probably non-duplicateable,
but there's also a lot of useful things.

But the older papers I use a lot (like the one on making coupled line
filters) were probably viewed as just as exotic back in the late 50s
when making accurate microwave measurements was quite timeconsuming and
tedious.
Post by djl
Now, this is my own opinion, a bit harsh, admittedly. Of course the
citations do need to be mentioned.
BTW, any published material generated with government funds that is not
classified belongs to the people, and is not copyrighted. I wonder if
that includes IEEE papers? that is, if anyone buys one, it can be copied
or distributed without restriction?
Not precisely - But in general, much government sponsored research has
no copyright, and the notice will say as much in the journal.

That said, there's no obligation for IEEE to make it available for free.
And IEEE has no problem with authors providing a "pre-print" edition of
their current papers online on their own server.

It is easy to find the whole proceedings for that conference at a
government site:
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a217381.pdf

Another way to get a free copy (but tedious) is to file a Freedom of
Information Act request - JPL gets lots of these every year asking for
"Document JPL D-12345" or similar.. and someone prints it out and sends
it (or, these days, they may even just send you a .pdf, if that meets
the requirements of the FOIA).

I would say that for "recent" (last 20 years) papers, most government
places have some sort of online repository (yes, it comes and goes,
NASA's repo disappeared for a while then came back).

It's the older material that's harder to come by (70s and 80s), mostly
because the keeper of the docs hasn't got back that far when scanning.
You can find "popular" docs that are requested a lot(e.g. the "Los
Alamos Primer"), but more obscure ones take a while.

The indexing is also sometimes a bit wonky - I find I need to try
different searches using parts of the title, or sometimes the report
number, or the author's name. But this particular one was easy - it was
in the first page of hits from Google.

Also, not all government funded research is "public". IN particular,
Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) grants give the grantee
exclusive rights for a significant period (5 years??), and the reports
can contain proprietary information, and so are not subject to unlimited
distribution.

Similarly, University research that is funded by the government is
subject to the Bayh-Dole Act - the university retains title and rights
to the research. It depends on the specific grant/contract whether
reports of that research are subject to copyright or not.

Philosophically, the government does this to get something of value
without having to spend as much money on it, since the producer can then
sell it to others as well. More research done, less taxpayer dollars, etc.

Another reason taxpayer funded research might not be published is that
it uses a third party's proprietary information. If I do a bunch of
rocket engine tests (I wish!) on Acme Corp's special proprietary rocket
fuel mixture, I might be able to publish the test results, but not be
able to publish the analysis that provided the expected values, based on
the rocket fuel formulation.
Post by djl
Not being in the lawyer class, I can't say for sure...
Thanks
Don
Post by Gregory Beat via time-nuts
Magnus -
When I scan/read the 1984 IEEE document, “Lifetime and Reliability of
Rubidium Discharge Lamps for Use in Atomic Frequency Standards”
by Aerospace Corp., Efraton-Ball, and EG&G.
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1537723/
The failure of the rubidium lamps used on early NAVSTAR satellites,
was the reason for in-depth studies of the Rb lamp, its lifetime and
failure mechanism.
greg
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi -
I later tried that method on my R&S XSRM rubidium, with good progress. I
have reported on that on the list way back. It took two attempts, one
just to realize that I needed to keep the pinch at the top, because that
is where the hot atoms go.
Essentially, the thin film of rubidium will consume too much of the
radiation to emit any useful amount of pumping light. Heating it has the
rubidium go into gas and then collect somewhere cold, so it's just about
making sure that somewhere cold isn't the glass where it is to emit light.
My XSRM have however other issues that I need to attend to.
and follow the instructions