WWVB Time
Add Reply
Doug Millar via time-nuts
2018-04-10 20:23:17 UTC
Hi, all of a sudden my Symmetricom comparator/clock has been locking up on time. It has been about a week so far. Did they change the code? Anyone else seeing that?     Doug K6JEY
Tom Van Baak
2018-04-10 21:15:43 UTC
Post by Doug Millar via time-nuts
Hi, all of a sudden my Symmetricom comparator/clock has been locking up on time.
It has been about a week so far. Did they change the code? Anyone else seeing that?
Doug K6JEY
Hi Doug,

That would be too good to be true. I asked NIST just now and they report: "We have not changed the code or power level. All things remain the same."

So let's debug this on your end.
- What make/model WWVB receiver are you using?
- Can you check the accuracy of the time or frequency output against GPS / GPSDO. Is it NIST accurate or a bad copy of 60 kHz?
- Did you power-up any new instrument in the past week, one that might cause 60 kHz harmonics?
- Can you check with 'scope or spectrum analyzer what your environment looks like near 60 kHz?
- Do you have a curious neighbor who is experimenting with a WWVB simulator...

/tvb

2018-04-10 22:56:39 UTC
Did you move it near a desktop PC or other computer, or move a desktop, or
other PC, video screen or switching power supply in the vicinity of the
Symmetricom or WWVB antenna?

I am learning the hard way that PC and LED/LCD video screens are horrible
generators of noise in the LF spectrum.

--- Graham

==