Lots of Off Topic discussion,
Add Reply
Joe Hobart
2018-09-02 00:12:27 UTC
Scott McGrath

I am an amateur radio operator (62 years), and I have accurate 1 PPS and 10 MHz
available. I also coordinate emergency communications for this very large county.

I use WWV:

To judge propagation during normal and other than normal times

To set clocks after a power outage

To calibrate relatively new amateur radio transceivers (not Collins)

To set my computer clock to better than 1/10 second for FT8 digital mode and
when I was recovering faint asteroids that were in danger of being lost

It is easy to set clocks within 1/10 second while watching the digital display
and listening to the WWV/WWVH tics. I tend to get the wrong second when I use a
GPS clock.

Best,
Joe Hobart

Scott McGrath
2018-09-04 14:00:07 UTC
Hi Joe

Like myself you are not a RECENT ham. Your first radio like mine was probably a Heathkit with Glassfet technology. Like me you learned how to use WWV to set clocks and your VFO accurately

Fast forward to the ‘current’ generation of hams. Most have been licensed 15 years or less. They are interested in SDR, digital modes, ‘The World Above 50 Mhz’ and to a lesser extent coherent CW. This generation ‘knows’ WWV as a question in the exam pool and they never met W2NSD.

This is the generation of hams who DONT use WWV. At many large tech companies you would be surprised at the number of hams but most of them don’t advertise the fact as I’dont because of the undeserved reputation of hams being behind the technology curve. But everyone is gaga because i have a GROL+RADAR+GMDSS maintainer.

Content by Scott
Typos by Siri

and fol
Pete Lancashire
2018-09-04 21:48:06 UTC
One way I like to put it is like you when I start it in ham radio I
immediately considered WWV as the answer to everything TimeWise.

But for me around about 1975 I worked at General Electric space flight
systems. One could say I became a Time nuts then and discovered that what I
thought what is a Accurate Way of determining how much in error I was
between NBS and my clock Waze and amount that was totally useless to
anybody else other than maybe a ham and someone that owned a watch.

So I went from 1/100th to at least at work 1/10000000000 and now today that
is considered totally useless. Put about 20 zeros and you're getting closer.

The only way to put it is the world has changed