TBolt and the Local News
2017-08-10 22:12:28 UTC

So I’m sitting at dinner focusing on a cold beverage, with the local
news running in the background. Blah blah blah … local EMS system
down for two weeks…. surprise hardware failure takes out “paging
system” … blah .. blah … blah …

So finally they pop up with the “documentation” related to the failure.
… ThunderBolt will fail … hmmm… I think I’ve heard about TBolt’s
failing recently. Maybe the local county 911 should subscribe to TimeNuts !!!

Next up is the comment that it took two weeks and $27,000 to fix. !!! If that
all went to Trimble, I can see why they would prefer to let them fail vs issuing
some sort of firmware update :)

Back to my cold beverage ….

Chris Caudle
2017-08-10 22:48:46 UTC
Post by Bob kb8tq
Next up is the comment that it took two weeks
and $27,000 to fix.
I wonder if that was the cost to purchase new GPSDO units, or the cost to
have Trimble dust off the old source code and make a special release for
them?
--
Chris Caudle

paul swed
2017-08-10 23:59:21 UTC
Sweet. Yankee ingenuity at its best. $27K thats seriously nice.
Almost enough to get me to code something. But then its 911 services maybe
not.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL
Hi
2017-08-11 00:29:25 UTC

Since it *is* in a 911 context, whatever is done has a bit of liability associated
with it. I also have zero information on how many devices were involved. It
could easily have been 54 towers at $200 each for hardware and $300 each
for overhead and labor.

Bob
Post by paul swed
Sweet. Yankee ingenuity at its best. $27K thats seriously nice.
Almost enough to get me to code something. But then its 911 services maybe
not.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL
Hi
Adrian Godwin
2017-08-11 00:04:56 UTC
I wonder if we're about to see another wave of surplus Thunderbolts ?
Post by paul swed
Sweet. Yankee ingenuity at its best. $27K thats seriously nice.
Almost enough to get me to code something. But then its 911 services maybe
not.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL
Hi
Post by Bob kb8tq
Post by Chris Caudle
have Trimble dust off the old source code and make a special release
for
Post by Bob kb8tq
Post by Chris Caudle
them?
--
Chris Caudle
2017-08-11 00:13:52 UTC
Lady Heather has pretty much all the infrastructure to do it including the ability to echo receiver data to another port. It currently echoes data as it comes in without even looking at it. You would need to add a few dozen lines of code to do the echo on a packet-by-packet basis and patch the primary timing packet to correct the date. It could run on a $30 Raspberry PI and a couple of $5 serial port dongles.

I could have it up and running in an hour or two... but, like you said... it's 911 service related and nobody in their right mind wants to dick with the potential liability issues involved with an emergency fix to an emergency related system.

paul swed
2017-08-12 14:41:04 UTC
I would simply say forget all the easy discussions. Find the place the
units are being dumped. I fear straight in the trash. It would be nice to
have a spare TBolt for cheap.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL