[time-nuts] Trimble GPS board
Bob Benward
2015-08-16 14:52:45 UTC
Hi all,

Does anyone have any information or experience with this small Trimble
GPSDO? There doesn't seem to be any associated model number other than the
model of the OCXO (63090). I am looking for software, command codes, or
hookup schematics, can anyone help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141734507722?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/141734507722?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNam
e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT> &ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks,

Bob

and follow the instructions there.
Arthur Dent
2015-08-16 16:17:10 UTC
"Does anyone have any information or experience with this small
Trimble GPSDO?"

If you search on Ebay for more of the same GPSDO you will find
that there are several sellers offering these units. The units
are a Trimble 57963 (x) where x is a revision letter. Some have
a different oscillator number and some have a shield over the
GPS section but I don't know the differences-yet. I have 2 that
should be here soon if all goes well. Read the listings and you
will see that they have an RS-232 interface and run on 5.6 to
6VDC if you believe the given info. Some of the sellers are
building these into nice boxes and selling them for $150 if you
want a ready made unit. Some of the listings have PC screen shots
that show some information. Seems to track 12 SVs so these are
pretty new. I 'think' the date is 2009 from some chip numbers.

-Arthur
and follow the instructions there.
Bob Camp
2015-08-16 19:25:55 UTC
Hi

I think you will find that on the part you are looking at:

TPN = Trimble Part Number
57964-15 = Trimble’s part number on the module
SEC CODE = probably more relevant to the module that the OCXO info

Date Code (on OCXO) 0826 = it was made sometime around the middle of 2008

One would *guess* that it is a more modern version of the TBolt.

Bob
M. George
2015-08-16 21:36:13 UTC
Hi, I poked around and found the EEVblog thread below... BG7TBL is using
this board in one of his GPSDO units he sells on eBay.

Look through the whole thread, you will see pictures of the GPSDO that is
using this board / OCXO:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bg7tbl-gpsdo-master-reference/

And yet another eBay seller that is offering this board, I have seen this
quite a bit in the past, but at $99 I didn't get excited:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301124758583?item=301124758583&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

And another $119 complete with the patch coax to SMA connectors and it
shows the 6v power connection input:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trimble-GPS-Receiver-GPSDO-10MHz-1PPS-GPS-Disciplined-Clock-/181777773438?hash=item2a52ccb37e
mg NG7M
Post by Bob Camp
Hi
TPN = Trimble Part Number
57964-15 = Trimble’s part number on the module
SEC CODE = probably more relevant to the module that the OCXO info
Date Code (on OCXO) 0826 = it was made sometime around the middle of 2008
<
M. George
2015-08-16 21:39:42 UTC
Sorry, one more eBay link using this Trimble unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trimble-GPS-Receiver-GPSDO-10MHz-1PPS-GPS-Disciplined-Clock-/181777773438?hash=item2a52ccb37e
​Is that the bg7tbl version? Not sure what the serial connection gives you
unless it's al'a BG7TBL?

mg​
Post by Bob Camp
Hi
TPN = Trimble Part Number
57964-15 = Trimble’s part number on the module
SEC CODE = probably more relevant to the module that the OCXO info
Date Code (on OCXO) 0826 = it was made sometime around the middle of 2008
--
M. George
and follow the instructions there.
Bob Benward
2015-08-20 02:51:26 UTC
Thank you all for your responses.

I tried to buy one of those adapters but I think there was a language
problem. Still waiting for a positive response from the seller.

It seems this guy is selling those small GPSDOs. The ones dated 2014-11-06
& 2014-12-09 are the Morion, the 2015-07-08 are the Oscilloquartz, and the
latest, 2015-07-17 are the Trimbles, all mounted on the same carrier. I
assume the numbers are all dates, but why two different models 9 days apart.
I wonder if it's a supply issue.

Arthur Dent
2015-08-22 15:19:31 UTC
"Does anyone have any information or experience with this small
Trimble GPSDO?"

I had previously posted that what I thought these boards
were and how they might work and said I was waiting for 2
of these boards that I had ordered to arrive. Yesterday the
2 boards arrived in an Epacket from China. If you order
more than one board check them carefully on arrival because
the 2 I received were placed back-to-back with no padding
in between and a couple of the small SMD components on the
back side were partially ripped off the pc board. Fortunately
the damage was repairable and both boards are ok. What I found
was that there are at least 2 different versions of this GPSDO
and although both function the same, the location of some
of the parts differ.

First, there is the understandable language barrier and if
the sellers do have information that could help you get the
board up and running, it isn't included in the English
listings. Some of the info you can glean from looking at all
of the photos of the various units for sale on Ebay is just
from arrows on the photos telling where to connect power and
get the 10Mhz output. It took me a lot of trial and error plus
tracing out some of the runs to get to a point of where the
boards were working as intended.

The supply voltage required is stated to be 5.6 to 6VDC and
this goes to an LT1764A low dropout regulator set to 5VDC out
so my 'guess' is that 6VDC should be the minimum supply voltage
to make sure the regulator keeps working properly. With the
multicontact connector facing you you will see a 5A fuse near
the back right edge of the connector. I soldered the '+' supply
lead from my power supply (that puts out about 6.3VDC regulated)
to the left end of this fuse and the '-' supply lead to the ground
plane on the left of the connector. Using too high an input VDC
could cause the regulator to dissipate too much heat.

When the board is powered up with the antenna and the 10Mhz
output connected you will see no 10Mhz output. There are two
2-color LEDs on the board, on top of one version, and on the
bottom of the other version. One is the ALARM LED and the other
is the ACTIVITY LED. On power-up both light red then go out
(if all is well) then the ACT LED stays on solid green for maybe
10 minutes until the GPS receiver starts to track satellites. At
this point the ACT LED starts to flash a slow green and the 10Mhz
output is turned on. After a few more minutes when the board
achieves lock the ACT LED starts flashing green at a higher rate.

On the left front corner of the board is the 1 PPS connector.
To the right of that connector are 4 unpopulated holes for a
connector. I traced those out and found 2 went to a RS-232
chip that appears to be a different type depending on which of
the boards you receive. The left hole is ground (RS-232 pin 5
on the computer end), then the next hole is not connected, then
RS-232 pin 2, then pin 3 being the hole with the square index pad
on the right. Using a terminal emulator program and 57600 8N1N
I was able to communicate with the board. Typing '?' will give
you a long list of all the commands it will accept. For instance,
'STAT' and 'POSSTAT' are 2 of the commands that will give you
info on how the board is working. Typing *IDN? at the UCCM-P >
prompt returns 57964-60 for my board and POSSTAT shows up to 12
satellites can be tracked. The date code on my unit is 2009.
The board seems to work well but the OCXO runs pretty hot so it
probably isn't a double oven. The multicontact connector probably
has most of the functions and LED signals available but I couldn't
see using it so I'll get whatever signals I want directly off the
pc board.

-Arthur
and follow the instructions there.
Bob
2015-08-22 18:02:35 UTC
Hi Arthur,
Thank you for this information. I have not received my board yet, I
probably still have a few weeks to go. The LT1764 will take up to 20V,
but I would never go to the edge. You could easily do 12V, the only
downside is the dissipation in the LT17654. Use a variable power supply
and raise the voltage slowly. Monitor the temperature with a
thermocouple, IR spot meter (radio shack had one for $10), or just use
your finger. If you can keep your finger on it comfortable for a long
period of time, the temp should be OK. The junction temp is rated for
125C.

Now on the flips side, my only concern is the regulator is not supplying
the oven power. Most Trimble OCXOs I see on Ebay are powered by +12.
When supplying only 6.5V the oven might not get up to temp producing
frequency instability and some erratic EFC stats.

See below, here is a 73090 OCXO (same as on some of those GPSDO boards)
powered by +12V. It's possible the regulator is meant to be powered
from +12V, supplying power to the digital logic and to the oscillator
portion of the OCXO. Then +12V directly supplies the oven.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-000000MHz-Trimble-Double-Oven-OCXO-Trimble-73090-Double-sinewave-15V-12V-/251883335405?hash=item3aa56aaeed

I will post my success and let everyone know how I make out. I
purchased this to have a backup for my Z3801 & Z3805. Both are on the
fritz, I will be post those trials and tribulations on a new thread.
Thanks so much for your response.

Bob Camp

Angus
2015-08-23 12:29:45 UTC
Hi Bob,

I got a Trimble 57963-80 last year and the 73090 OXCO and some other
parts on it are supplied with 5V from the LT1764A.

The DSP, FPGA, etc., also have various small regulators supplying
their supply voltages - one even has a dropper resistor in series.
These are connected to the main input supply, so raising it above what
it should be is probably not a good idea.

I thought at first that the LT1764A would be thermally connected to
the fixing hole beside it so that the heat could be removed, but it is
only connected to the copper on the top of board at that point - then
again, that may be the way it was mounted.

I did put a temp sensor on the 1764 to see how much it heated up
during warm up and when running, but neither looked close to being a
problem when run at 6V and room temperature.
At 6V, it took 2A during warm up and just over 1A when running at room
temp, but the warm up is fast.

When I got the board, someone had written on the OCXO with a marker
pen what the pins were, and the power was marked as 12V, and an EFC
voltage was also written on (about 0.2V from what I measured) which
was all a little weird.

It was listed as having been tested, but since the seller said that
they had no connection info, who tested it and how is anyone's
guess...

Angus.
Bob Benward
2015-08-24 03:36:27 UTC
Hi Angus,
Thanks for your reply. My original suspicion is the +6.5V rail. That needs
to come from somewhere, and you need headroom if it's an unregulated input.
Pumping 2A through a regulator like that is no easy feat. Although rated
for 3A, you need to keep the junction temperature below 125C. The part has a
30C/W thermal resistance (Tja) with a 1" square copper pad. So 6.5V and 3A
calculate as follows: (6.5V-5V)*3A=4.5W. 4.5W*30C/W=135C RISE, add that to
ambient, 25C, and you are 35C over max junction. In my world we have a 70C
ambient, and that leaves me (125C-70C)/30C/W=1.83W, or a maximum of
1.83W/1.5V=1.22A. Generally a tab mounted TO-220 (a D2Pak) can have a Tjc
(junction to case) or less than 1C/W. It's all the reest of the mounting
that piles on the thermal resistance.

The Trimble board has a top layer pad, some far side pad, and probably
multiple layer of ground plane over the rest of the board. The mounting
post is mostly likely part of the thermal resistance calculation. There is
also a time constant involved, it probably can't take the 2A forever, just
long enough to get the oven up to temp. I suspect they may have gotten the
thermal impedance down as low as 10C/W. I will test it with 12V and let
everyone know if I fry the board.

Angus
2015-08-28 20:46:17 UTC
Post by Bob Benward
[...]

There's not really any need for a 6V or so rail - a DC-DC converter
(and probably some filtering) can provide the right voltage just where
it's needed.

What looks like a Symmetricom variant is in listing #271483752431.
It does appear to have a DC-DC converter, etc., on the board.

Anyway, I dug out my Trimble to have a look at it, and I see that
there's a 10V tantalum capacitor on the input power, so it's certainly
not meant to run on 12V.

Angus.
and follow the instructions there.
Bob Camp
2015-08-28 23:36:10 UTC
HI
Post by Angus
Post by Bob Benward
[...]
If they derated that cap 20%, it is not meant to run on anything over 8V. It’s
rare to see a voltage between 6.3 and 10 on those parts. Obviously 6.3 is to close
to run on a 6V line and get any decent MTBF.

Bob
Post by Angus
Angus.
and follow the instructions there.

Bob Camp
2015-08-22 19:29:22 UTC
Hi

Great information !!!!!
Post by Arthur Dent
[...]
How much current does it pull at turn on? The regulator is only rated
to 3A so I would *guess* it’s less than that.
Post by Arthur Dent
When the board is powered up with the antenna and the 10Mhz
output connected you will see no 10Mhz output. There are two
2-color LEDs on the board, on top of one version, and on the
bottom of the other version. One is the ALARM LED and the other
is the ACTIVITY LED. On power-up both light red then go out
(if all is well) then the ACT LED stays on solid green for maybe
10 minutes until the GPS receiver starts to track satellites. At
this point the ACT LED starts to flash a slow green and the 10Mhz
output is turned on. After a few more minutes when the board
achieves lock the ACT LED starts flashing green at a higher rate.
On the left front corner of the board is the 1 PPS connector.
To the right of that connector are 4 unpopulated holes for a
connector. I traced those out and found 2 went to a RS-232
There’s also this listing that shows an pair of 9 pins tacked on the
same board:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trimble-GPS-Receiver-GPSDO-10MHz-1PPS-GPS-Disciplined-Clock-with-rs232-port-/261997391557?hash=item3d0042eec5
Post by Arthur Dent
chip that appears to be a different type depending on which of
the boards you receive. The left hole is ground (RS-232 pin 5
on the computer end), then the next hole is not connected, then
RS-232 pin 2, then pin 3 being the hole with the square index pad
on the right. Using a terminal emulator program and 57600 8N1N
I was able to communicate with the board. Typing '?' will give
you a long list of all the commands it will accept. For instance,
'STAT' and 'POSSTAT' are 2 of the commands that will give you
info on how the board is working. Typing *IDN? at the UCCM-P >
prompt returns 57964-60 for my board and POSSTAT shows up to 12
satellites can be tracked.
Time to get a few mods in on LH :)….
Post by Arthur Dent
The date code on my unit is 2009.
The board seems to work well but the OCXO runs pretty hot so it
probably isn't a double oven.
I think it’s pretty safe to guess that a GPSDO designed well after SA
went off for good has a single oven rather than a double oven on it.

Bob
Angus
2015-08-23 13:56:40 UTC
Post by Arthur Dent
[...]

That's interesting - I connected my one up to Trimble studio and
others, but got no joy - I never thought of just asking it :)

I went through the connections on the other pins, but most are just to
the FPGA or 0V. Most don't appear to be doing a lot - maybe they need
whatever is meant to be connected to this board to be connected before
they do anything.

There is another serial port which is the same baud rate but appears
to be binary, and prattles away every 2 seconds:
Pin 36 goes to Pin 4 of the UART (RX)
Pin 37 goes to Pin 8 of the UART (TX)

Pin 2 has binary data of about 64 bits at 1.6us/bit - looks like maybe
a timer or similar.

(Above pin numbers assume V+ is connected to pins 44-50 and are
hopefully correct, but always worth checking)

Angus.

and follow the instructions there.
Arthur Dent
2015-08-22 22:25:04 UTC
rbenward at verizon.net wrote: "See below, here is a 73090
OCXO (same as on some of those GPSDO boards) powered by +12V."

You are incorrect in your assumption that the link you have
supplied shows a 73090 OCXO powered by +12VDC. The BOARD is
indeed powered by 12VDC (or 15VDC if you read the listing)
but if you look at all the photos you will see a 3-terminal
regulator on the bottom of the pc board.

The Trimble GPSDO I'm supplying 6.3VDC to had a 5 volt regulator
that has a measured output of 5.00VDC and the supply pin on the
oscillator had that 5.00VDC on it, not the 6.3VDC from my supply.
A continuity check shows a direct connection from the regulator's
5 volt output directly to the oscillator's supply pin. Because
of the higher current drawn by the 5 volt oven, running the input
to the board at 12VDC and wasting all that power as heat would
not be wise. 6.3VDC makes me happy and they chose a LDO regulator
for a good reason.

The one error I did notice is I said the board locked after it
found satellites but that is incorrect. It does find satellites
quickly but takes about 10 minutes to lock and that is when the
10Mhz output is enabled. I did some of my checking around 1AM
and that is not a good time for clear thinking or writing.

-Arthur
and follow the instructions there.
Angus
2015-08-23 09:49:26 UTC
Bob Benward
2015-08-24 02:55:35 UTC
Arthur,
You are correct, I missed that regulator, but may other Trimble oscillators
are powered by +12V. That's what led me down the wrong path. I still
suspect that it might have been designed for +12V, as +6.5V is not a common
supply rail.

I just got my Trimble board yesterday and hope to have it running this week.
I am still wrestling with my Z3801, trying to get it to run with a Morion
MV89, but then that crapped out. Now trying to get it to work with a
Efratom OCXO.

Bob
Arthur Dent
2015-08-24 12:14:18 UTC
Bob Camp wrote: "There’s also this listing that shows
an pair of 9 pins tacked on the same board:"
If you look closely that is a daughter board the seller made
that is mounted on top of the Trimble board. Some of the
listings use the 50-pin ribbon cable connector to connect to
some form of interface board they have.

I should clear up some previous statements that I made that
were inarticulate and lead to some confusion. When I wrote:
"The supply voltage required is stated to be 5.6 to 6VDC and
this goes to an LT1764A low dropout regulator set to 5VDC out
so my 'guess' is that 6VDC should be the minimum supply voltage
to make sure the regulator keeps working properly.", I actually
meant the supply should be 6VDC-period. You don't have to get
into higher math to determine what voltage to use. As to the
current the oscillator (or the entire board) draws, at start-up
it is 2A as one of the Ebay listings states. As the oven warms
up this dropped to about 0.8A on each of the 2 boards I have.
The specs for the LT1764A shows the minimum differential agree
pretty much with what I had measured. At power-up it was about
0.4VDC and warmed-up it was about 0.2VDC. I measured the dropout
voltage to be less than 5.4V warm. Using a common wall-wart fixed
regulated power supply of 6VDC is a common sense decision. I
would not try using anything higher, even not knowing as Angus
(not.again at btinternet.com) pointed out, there are circuits
that are powered by the input voltage before it goes through
the LT1764A. Quite often you can find an adequate 6VDC power
supply at the local Goodwill or at a fleamarket.

Anyone buying just the board and trying to find a nice enclosure
to build it into might want to check out Ebay item 250597854445
which appears to be a (6" x 4.1" x 2.2") black extruded aluminum
case identical in style to what is used in some of the ready made
units. Also check Ebay 351340026725 for some 6" MCX to SMA panel
mount cables that look like the ones they use with some of the
GPSDOs you see on Ebay. Note I have no connection (pun) with these
sellers but I have ordered these items to use with the 2 board-
only units I bought at $42.90 each (including shipping). I also
plan to remove the two 2-color LED from the underside of the pc
board and mount 2 others LEDs on the front panel to let me see
what the unit is doing. I'll probably move the reset switch as well.

Another note is to check the listings carefully because the price
seems to change frequently on some of the listings for these
Trimble units. After I bought the 2 I wanted the price on that
listing jumped to $48 then to $61 and the quantity dropped to zero.
Also if you don't want to be cheap like me and go through the hassle
of building your own unit from scratch (although it is a learning
experience), you can buy the complete package from some sellers for
about $150. Finally keep in mind that most of the info in this
thread is preliminary and like many have pointed out, may still
have errors. We're all trying to make it easier for others but
we ain't perfuct!

-Arthur
and follow the instructions there.
Arthur Dent
2015-08-28 23:12:45 UTC
Here is an update on the 57964-60 GPSDO board that I
bought. After figuring out what it needed for power
(it is definitely 5.6-6.0VDV) and communications as I
previously posted, I built it into a nice enclosure
and fed the 10 Mhz output into my modified Tbolt so
I could get a graph of the output. The graph doesn't
show the first 10 minutes after power-up because the
10 Mhz isn't active until the GPS locks. It looks to
be a pretty reasonable GPSDO in a small package. The
labels on the front and back panels are just in the
photoshop pictures shown in the link below and I haven't
made the physical labels yet. Note that I did remove
the on-board LEDs and reset switch and then mounted
replacements on the front panel where they would be
useful.

I have no idea what equipment these GPSDOs were used in
so I have no idea whether there is going to be a lot of
them appearing for sale in the future or just a few. I
hope that if there are a lot of these available someone
with the knowledge can make a Lady Heather type program
to see what the thing is doing. Using a terminal emulator
program works but is really clunky.

-Arthur
and follow the instructions there.