Bicentennial GOES satellite clock
Add Reply
Tim Shoppa
2018-08-09 02:29:24 UTC
See the groovy picture at
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4847573/figure/f9-j110-2lom/

If anyone knows the whereabouts or history of the bicentennial GOES time
clock display, please let me know!

Tim N3QE
Tom Van Baak
2018-08-10 14:18:52 UTC
Tim,

Thanks for posting that photo. That space age 1976 GOES clock caught our eyes when the paper came out in 2005 (see also pages 11, 12, 13):

https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2013.pdf

There was quite a bit of traffic on time-nuts around 2005 when the GOES satellite time service was turned off (and back on, and off, and on, and finally off for good). That left many of us with piles of 468 MHz GOES receivers, antennae, clocks and led to efforts to re-create the RF signals in-home so that GOES clocks would still work. There was even a commercial G2G (GPS to GOES) translator.

Anyway, I asked around about that one-off bicentennial clock in the photo and neither the authors, NIST, or Smithsonian knows where it ended up. There's tons of information on the GOES satellite system and GOES clocks in the NIST T&F archives:

https://tf.nist.gov/general/publications.htm

Best to search title for GOES, or search author for Hanson. It's a fascinating glimpse into the recent past. Yes, it's sad that GOES (and Omega, and Loran-C) aren't operational anymore, but GPS does such a better job. Plus we now have cable, WiFi, cell phones, the internet, Iridium, etc.

If you wanted to build your own Bicentennial GOES Clock, the design was published, including source code -- for its i4004 (!!) CPU. If you have even one minute to spare, see attached image and click on these two PDF's:

"Satellite Controlled Digital Clock System (patent)"
https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1791.pdf

"A Satellite-Controlled Digital Clock (NBS TN-681)"
https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/452.pdf

/tvb

2018-08-10 15:24:58 UTC
Tom, thank you for those links!

Yes, my employer used successive generations of GOES satellite clock
receivers that generated IRIG signals piped around the company. Even though
my company started in revenue service in 1976 I don't think we had our
first GOES clock until a few years later.

The IRIG signals were not just used for internal displays. In the 1980's
each passenger station got public facing LED clocks that were standard
NatSemi LED display chips but "force synchronized" at top of each hour and
at midnight via audio tones driving relay contacts that stimulated the set
pushbutton inputs of the NatSemi chips.

When GOES was turned off in 2004, then we switched to NTP controlled IRIG
generator and only in the past month have we removed the last internal IRIG
clock displays. All the passenger facing LED clocks had been removed in the
past decade too.

I am building a miniature reproduction of the bicentennial clock although
it will obviously not be run through GOES or use a 4004. Current prototype
uses a ESP8266 and NTP over WiFi.

Tim N3QE

paul swed
2018-08-10 15:25:37 UTC
yes I still have a modified 468 that works using some stuff I design back
in 2005. I do power the dc468 up every now and then.
Still works. Though a couple of the panaplex displays are getting a bit
cranky. But completely agree that GPS has seriously spoiled me as it drives
time code clocks.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL

Lester Veenstra
2018-08-10 18:25:41 UTC
Used to work with Wayne on two time transfer via satellite
Great guy

Lester B Veenstra  K1YCM MØYCM W8YCM 6Y6Y
***@veenstras.com

Physical and US Postal Addresses
5 Shrine Club Drive (Physical)
HC84 452 Stable Ln (RFD USPS Mail)
Keyser WV 26726
GPS: 39.336826 N  78.982287 W (Google)
GPS: 39.33682 N  78.9823741 W (GPSDO)

Telephones:
Home:                     +1-304-289-6057
US cell                    +1-304-790-9192
Jamaica cell:           +1-876-456-8898

2018-08-12 14:29:41 UTC
And with dependence on GPS we have created a serious vulnerability as too many critical pieces of infrastructure are dependent on a SINGLE precision timing and positioning system.

I can use a sextant and have a copy of Bowditch. But they only work on clear days and nights.

if GPS goes down for any reason. Whats the backup solution?

and follow t
Bob kb8tq
2018-08-12 15:07:51 UTC

If GPS goes down, you then have Glonass. If Glonass goes down, you have Galileo. If all of those go down and you are in the
right region, the Chinese and Japanese both have systems you could use.

In terms of *system* failure, there’s a lot of redundancy out there ….. Yes, you *would* have to own gear that works with all
those systems. You might also go with multi-band (quad band maybe) gear to eliminate various other issues.

Widely deployed electronic navigation isn’t all that old. People got along for a really long time without it ….. That includes a whole
bunch of folks who had no clue how a sextant works.

Bob

and follow th
djl
2018-08-12 19:06:55 UTC
all you need for a once a day noon fix is a level surface, a stick, and
some pebbles.
Don

--
Dr. Don Latham
PO Box 404, Frenchtown, MT, 59834

and follow the instruction
Dana Whitlow
2018-08-12 23:29:39 UTC
How exactly does one get submillisecond time of day precision with a
sextant?
(even if sticks and pebbles are thrown into the mix)
I'd say more like ~1 sec precision on a really fine day, it the sextant is
wielded by
a skilled and practiced operator who has apriori knowledge of his location.

And what about standard frequency dissemination?

I'm also upset about the notion of time distribution and transfer by
internet. Now
there's a fine example of a system that could be brought down by a single
competent
hacker!

And all it takes is one really good solar flare to bring down GPS (and
Glonass and
the others) semipermanently, if the reports I read are true.

I argue that instead of shutting down distribution avenues, NIST should be
making
additional ones available.

A lot has been said lately about how rapidly our technology is exploding.
But think
about how much of that is critically dependent on precision time transfer
over the
planet, and how much longer it would take mankind to recover from (insert
your favorite
disaster here) without good time and frequency transfer still up and
working.

Dana

and fol
Bob kb8tq
2018-08-12 23:48:52 UTC

Well…. there’s also the solar flare that vaporizes the planet earth :)

A flare big enough to take out all the sat systems would disrupt a lot more than just navigation.
It also probably is big enough to take out HF radio gear as well. It takes a *lot* of energy to
permanently take out a sat system. Hour or two disruptions … sure … total destruction, that’s
getting into crazy levels.

Bob

David I. Emery
2018-08-13 01:36:12 UTC
On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 07:48:52PM -0400, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> Well???. there???s also the solar flare that vaporizes the planet earth :)
>
> A flare big enough to take out all the sat systems would disrupt a lot more than just navigation.
> It also probably is big enough to take out HF radio gear as well. It takes a *lot* of energy to
> permanently take out a sat system. Hour or two disruptions ??? sure ??? total destruction, that???s
> getting into crazy levels.

Not so clear, big events can cause satellites to fail due to
large charges and voltages on induced on surfaces of the bird that cause
arcs - and also bombardment by energetic particles that can cause logic
states in chips to get tweaked (SEDs) and crash the control electronics
and CPUS and/or confuse vital sensors.. causing the bird to enter modes
that may not be safe for it or recoverable - more than a few satellites
have died of these kinds of things.

Whether ENOUGH GPS/Galileo/Glonnass/Baideu birds would fail to
eliminate them as a functioning constellation is probably somewhat
unlikely... however.

But It is much more likely that orbits would be less accurately
known for a while due to atmospheric heating and increased drag and
maybe also due to disturbances in satellite orientation and power and
thermal status during the event that could both change drag and perhaps
even induce slight impulses if gas jets or similar means were required
to recover the bird and make it stable again. And the power and
thermal perturbations in emergency mode shutdown configurations might
well impact the on board clock performance and accuracy (even maybe just
from the extra radiation as the magnetopause moved inside the satellite
orbits in an extreme event).

So in addition to the disturbed propagation through the
ionosphere causing degraded performance there well could be significant
errors in ephemerides (basic bird position) that would do so too for a
while.

And recovering a whole constellation of confused, sick and
dangerously misconfigured satellites during a massive world wide event
might be less easy than one might first imagine as the resources
required on the ground would probably be damaged and disabled by other
effects (massive nation wide power grid collapses and the like) and
would certainly be stretched thin by all the urgent problems to get
under control before individual satellites started to become nearly or
completely unrecoverable.

And there are certainly positive feedback vicious spiral effects
here - such as lack of time and position accuracy caused secondary
problems such as sync failures in fiber rings and the like that might
take out parts of the Internet and cell systems) and make it much harder
to recover the satellites due to lack of effective communications on the
ground.

I'd expect that decently designed HF and LF radio time and
positioning systems would be VERY much more resistant to lethal damage
by flare EMPs... hard to see how massive earth magnetic events could
kill LF or HF receivers that were even modestly hardened against EMP
simply because otherwise local lightning would be frying them regularly.

And the HF and LF transmitters involved should be pretty self
protecting too... maybe their power supply would be the weak point as
the grid collapsed but this is a problem that can be cheaply handled
with well known and proved diesel generator technology.

--
Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, ***@dieconsulting.com DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in

Bryan _
2018-08-13 05:49:50 UTC
There have been a few television documentaries over the years on the Carrington event of 1859.

https://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-solar-superstorm-the-1859-carrington-event

-=Bryan=-

________________________________

jimlux
2018-08-13 13:07:24 UTC
On 8/12/18 6:36 PM, David I. Emery wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 07:48:52PM -0400, Bob kb8tq wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Well???. there???s also the solar flare that vaporizes the planet earth :)
>>
>> A flare big enough to take out all the sat systems would disrupt a lot more than just navigation.

> But It is much more likely that orbits would be less accurately
> known for a while due to atmospheric heating and increased drag and
> maybe also due to disturbances in satellite orientation and power and
> thermal status during the event that could both change drag and perhaps
> even induce slight impulses if gas jets or similar means were required
> to recover the bird and make it stable again. And the power and
> thermal perturbations in emergency mode shutdown configurations might
> well impact the on board clock performance and accuracy (even maybe just
> from the extra radiation as the magnetopause moved inside the satellite
> orbits in an extreme event).

GPS is up high enough that aerodrag isn't really a problem - if you're
above 1500km, it's negligible, and they're up at 20,000km.
Solar wind pressure will push them around a bit, but not much. I would
think that if you did nothing, they'll be there for a very, very long time.

Their orbit is actually a quite high radiation zone (traversing the
radiation belts as they pass through the polar region), compared to GEO.

So the GPS satellites are pretty robust to this kind of thing.

Andy Backus
2018-08-12 23:55:59 UTC
A good sextant with a good operator can measure apparent altitude to 0.1 minutes of arc. The fastest apparent motion of objects in the sky due to rotation of the earth is 0.25 minutes of arc per second. So the best a sextant can do with time (assuming accurate astronomical tables and an exact knowledge of position) is 0.4 seconds of time.

acb

________________________________

ew via time-nuts
2018-08-10 18:29:54 UTC

NIST total budget for 2017 was close to 965 Million, I was curios trying to find out what the Time and Frequency Division  portion was. No Luck. Does any one know?Thanks   Bert Kehren
and follow the instructi
Magnus Danielson
2018-08-10 19:11:06 UTC
Bert,

The closes I come is this, burried in the line of Funamental Measurements:
https://www.nist.gov/fy-2019-presidential-budget-request-summary/budget-tables

It doesn't get more detailed than that.

The T&F work is relatively small group in the big NIST.

Robert LaJeunesse
2018-08-10 19:45:20 UTC
I'd say it does get more detailed, with the $49M in cuts described generally in groups here:

https://www.nist.gov/director/fy-2019-presidential-budget-request-summary/fundamental-measurement-quantum-science-and

One item: "-$6.3 million supporting fundamental measurement dissemination, including the shutdown of NIST radio stations in Colorado and Hawaii"

Looks like some of your friends might be looking for work. Not good.

Bob L.

Dana Whitlow
2018-08-10 20:34:03 UTC
I wonder if anybody will market a GPS-to-WWVB translator?

Dana

Andy Backus
2018-08-10 21:05:14 UTC
I have a very simple circuit for a (microwatt) 60 kHz transmitter that takes a digital input (only needs someone to calculate out the WWVB code from a GPS clock). The biggest problem I find with my WWVB clocks is getting a good signal, which is highly depend on location in the house and orientation of the device's antenna. So I have one WWVB receiver in a good place and key my little transmitter as a "translator" elsewhere in the house.

Andy Backus

________________________________

Larry Sampas
2018-08-10 23:56:50 UTC
My favorite RFI (Request for Information):
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=4f5c8b176af03d89abb1a318624c944b&tab=core&_cview=0

The public comments should be around someplace.

Larry Sampas

Steven Sommars
2018-08-11 02:56:27 UTC
I found the public comments from Microsemi
<https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/05/09/NIST-RFI-Internet-Time-Service-response.pdf>,
but couldn't locate my response. At one time the full set of RFI public

The NIST 60 kHz time service is widely used by inexpensive clocks, but I
find little use by public NTP servers.

paul swed
2018-08-11 17:47:28 UTC
This one almost slipped by me.
I see NIST seems to have taken down the link or details.
So they want to shut down the services. I suppose that makes some sense.
But would like to see what that means. LF and HF...
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL

Tom Van Baak
2018-08-11 22:43:46 UTC
> I wonder if anybody will market a GPS-to-WWVB translator?
> Dana

You can find lots of these projects on the web: in the time-nuts archives, eevblog, hackaday, or sometimes completed multi-band kits (WWVB / DCF77 / JJY) on eBay.

Search for a couple of words like signal wwvb simulator generator translator emulator transmitter

An example of a well engineered product (no longer available?) is: https://unusualelectronics.co.uk/products/chronvertor/

An example of a quick hack (open source) is: https://hackaday.com/2014/03/22/build-your-own-radio-clock-transmitter/

There are dozens more.

/tvb

Andy Backus
2018-08-11 23:31:15 UTC
To answer Dana's question, there are many projects on the web (as Tom has pointed out), but very few, think, will answer the question in total.

For the DYI person, I think a GPS module from Adafruit, an Arduino, and a down-and-dirty little transmitter like mine or the one in Tom's second link will do the trick. Writing the software will be fun (beginning with simply counting the PPS from the GPS).

acb

________________________________

jimlux
2018-08-12 01:00:10 UTC
On 8/10/18 12:45 PM, Robert LaJeunesse wrote:
> I'd say it does get more detailed, with the $49M in cuts described generally in groups here:
>
> https://www.nist.gov/director/fy-2019-presidential-budget-request-summary/fundamental-measurement-quantum-science-and
>
> One item: "-$6.3 million supporting fundamental measurement dissemination, including the shutdown of NIST radio stations in Colorado and Hawaii"

I wonder if that's WWVB, or WWV & WWVH

2018-08-12 01:08:46 UTC

One would *guess* that stopping WWVB (and killing mom and pop’s “atomic clocks”) would not be a reasonable thing to do.
It gets a lot of voters mad. I doubt that very many voters (percentage wise) would notice WWV and WWVH going away ….

Bob

Bob Albert via time-nuts
2018-08-12 01:12:43 UTC
With any luck, the current administration will successfully push the USA down technically.  Denying global warming, shutting off time signals, and so on, is great stuff.

Hi

and follow the instruction
Dana Whitlow
2018-08-12 02:48:35 UTC
I fear the worst. The line in the website simply stated something like
"shutting down
the transmitters in Colorado and Hawaii", which would seem to include the
whole
enchilada.

For the wall clocks, GPS should work well if people are willing to go to
battery-
backed AC power. But not so good for wristwatches, where the expectation
is to
run at uW power levels. I for one would be very irritated at having to
take my watch
off my wrist and put it on a charging stand every night. So if this
shutdown comes
to pass, I'll be looking for an inexpensive GPS-to-WWVB converter, or at
least
plans for building one.

Dana

paul swed
2018-08-12 18:20:53 UTC
Like all of you I have a few wwvb clocks that work pretty well here in
Boston.
Certainly have written enough wwvb stuff and created various wwvb projects
that I will have to get back into it again.
I did look at the cron-verter. Have to say it has a lot of nice features.
Unfortunately it hasn't been available for a year or so. (Getting lazy)
The good news is the AM modulation of wwb is very easy to create.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL

and fo
djl
2018-08-12 18:58:06 UTC
Just a word: When budget cuts are announced, the agencies put the most
valued "stuff" to be cut first, such as the Washington monument, etc.
This is a recognized ploy. When the dust settles, all may be well. . .
Don

Wes
2018-08-12 20:19:07 UTC
Yep, just like "government shutdowns" where all non-essential people stay home.
(I always wondered why, it they are non-essential they are on the payroll in the
first place, but what do I know, I'm just a taxpayer.)  But what gets shut down
first are things like National Parks, which have immediate effect on lots of people.

What are the effects on the budget of running WWV/WWVB?  The electric bill I
would guess.  When John Q. Public's "atomic clock" stops working, they'll find a
way to pay the bill.

Wes

paul swed
2018-08-12 20:47:25 UTC
Well if the old LF and HF signals go away I am on for yet another wwvb
project and wwv. What the heck.
Creating a AM wwvb is really pretty easy and in fact I have done that.
Can't remember what code that was.
Pretty sure it was basic on SXb2. But the good news is the old BPSK code
isn't needed so it really becomes easy.
The BPSK coder was seriously complicated. (That was the cheatin dePSKr)
So it would be GPS to WWVB code. Have to think about the DST thing. Thats
always a bit messy.

Lastly while I am at it there would be a 5 and 10 MHz wwv simulator at
least ticks and minute tone. Looked at voice and thats a bit of a mess.
They seem to just say numbers. Not sure there are modules that say time
from my bit of research.
Of course have to be careful with transmission levels.... Looks like its
time yo look up fcc part 97.

Things to ponder.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL

Andy Backus
2018-08-12 22:01:23 UTC
WWV HF transmissions include a 100 Hz subcarrier that gives the info in cw format.

For generating WWVB code I would suggest simply counting seconds to yield days -- the WWVB code takes the day number in the year. Leap year is easy. Just look up the DST start and stop.

acb

________________________________

Joe Dempster
2018-08-12 20:49:52 UTC
I hope that defunding is just a ploy and things will remain on the air. I
am concerned this is starting to sound like 2010 when DHS/USCG took eLoran
off the air in the states. This was one of the few things that totally
dismayed me about the Obama administration.

+1 908 413 2889 (mobile)
--
Joe Dempster
+1 908 413 2889 (m)
and follow the instructions ther
Scott McGrath
2018-08-13 23:48:28 UTC
WRT my sextant comment, How many pilots or sailors can navigate by ‘shooting the sun/stars’. They have become dependent on precision navigation systems.

Which of course feeds the thinking by empty suits why do we need lighthouses, buoys, VOR’s and airway beacons because we have the ‘god box’ onboard. Its old fashioned and uncool.

Interestingly enough there have been enough GPS ‘outages’ that the USNO is once again requiring proficiency in celestial navigation in order to graduate food for thought there.

I was initially speaking about loss of GPS due to natural causes. In times of international tension attacking a country by denying its ONLY source of precision time transfer would be a particularly effective tactic and you dont even have to damage the satellites themselves. Just jam L1

As to relying on systems operated by one’s political adversaries that does not seem to be a wise option.

So once again for US’ians time to pick up the phone and put pen to paper and state while the US budget is bloated. This particular item NEEDS to stay. Find a vanity construction project and make it disappear instead. And point out the technical reasons it needs to stay.

Scott

On Aug 12, 2018, at 4:49 PM, Joe Dempster <***@gmail.com> wrote:

I hope that defunding is just a ploy and things will remain on the air. I
am concerned this is starting to sound like 2010 when DHS/USCG took eLoran
off the air in the states. This was one of the few things that totally
dismayed me about the Obama administration.

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 2:59 PM djl <***@montana.com> wrote:
>
> Just a word: When budget cuts are announced, the agencies put the most
> valued "stuff" to be cut first, such as the Washington monument, etc.
> This is a recognized ploy. When the dust settles, all may be well. . .
> Don
>

>> On 2018-08-12 12:20, paul swed wrote:
>> Like all of you I have a few wwvb clocks that work pretty well here in
>> Boston.
>> Certainly have written enough wwvb stuff and created various wwvb
>> projects
>> that I will have to get back into it again.
>> I did look at the cron-verter. Have to say it has a lot of nice
>> features.
>> Unfortunately it hasn't been available for a year or so. (Getting lazy)
>> The good news is the AM modulation of wwb is very easy to create.
>> Regards
>> Paul
>> WB8TSL
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 10:48 PM, Dana Whitlow <***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I fear the worst. The line in the website simply stated something
>>> like
>>> "shutting down
>>> the transmitters in Colorado and Hawaii", which would seem to include
>>> the
>>> whole

and follow the ins
Bob kb8tq
2018-08-14 01:57:29 UTC

Well, if you are worried about L1 jamming, use a receiver that can run on L1/L2/L5 and maybe a few of the other
bands as well. Broadband jammers make *really* good targets, even for a pretty “dumb” weapon / tracking system.
The more bands they cover, the easier they are to spot.

Broadband jamming really isn’t that big a deal. The GPS signal gets buried in the noise and the GPSDO goes into
holdover. If they can’t track down / eliminate the jammer in 24 hours ….. that’s because there’s a very high level of
other radiation ….Again, the jammer is probably pretty far down the list if this is the case.

So yes, if you are trying to navigate in an active war zone, things can get a bit weird. I doubt that any of us will be
trying to come up with timing for our bench under those conditions.

Bob

> On Aug 13, 2018, at 7:48 PM, Scott McGrath <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> WRT my sextant comment, How many pilots or sailors can navigate by ‘shooting the sun/stars’. They have become dependent on precision navigation systems.
>
> Which of course feeds the thinking by empty suits why do we need lighthouses, buoys, VOR’s and airway beacons because we have the ‘god box’ onboard. Its old fashioned and uncool.
>
> Interestingly enough there have been enough GPS ‘outages’ that the USNO is once again requiring proficiency in celestial navigation in order to graduate food for thought there.
>
> I was initially speaking about loss of GPS due to natural causes. In times of international tension attacking a country by denying its ONLY source of precision time transfer would be a particularly effective tactic and you dont even have to damage the satellites themselves. Just jam L1
>
> As to relying on systems operated by one’s political adversaries that does not seem to be a wise option.
>
> So once again for US’ians time to pick up the phone and put pen to paper and state while the US budget is bloated. This particular item NEEDS to stay. Find a vanity construction project and make it disappear instead. And point out the technical reasons it needs to stay.
>

> Scott
>

> On Aug 12, 2018, at 4:49 PM, Joe Dempster <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I hope that defunding is just a ploy and things will remain on the air. I
> am concerned this is starting to sound like 2010 when DHS/USCG took eLoran
> off the air in the states. This was one of the few things that totally
> dismayed me about the Obama administration.
>
>> On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 2:59 PM djl <***@montana.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just a word: When budget cuts are announced, the agencies put the most
>> valued "stuff" to be cut first, such as the Washington monument, etc.
>> This is a recognized ploy. When the dust settles, all may be well. . .
>> Don
>>

>>> On 2018-08-12 12:20, paul swed wrote:
>>> Like all of you I have a few wwvb clocks that work pretty well here in
>>> Boston.
>>> Certainly have written enough wwvb stuff and created various wwvb
>>> projects
>>> that I will have to get back into it again.
>>> I did look at the cron-verter. Have to say it has a lot of nice
>>> features.
>>> Unfortunately it hasn't been available for a year or so. (Getting lazy)
>>> The good news is the AM modulation of wwb is very easy to create.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul

D. Resor
2018-08-12 05:44:47 UTC
I wonder if this will also have any effect on Time Service for Computers, Personal and Commercial. A lot of MS Windows products check for the correct time using time servers access from the internet. I'm sure this will also affect outdoor clock towers which also use this reference.

Am I mistaken or is WWV the reference for all things dealing with the "time service"?

Don Resor

Craig Kirkpatrick
2018-08-12 15:40:35 UTC
I agree with Bob that shutting down WWVB would not go over well with the voters but losing WWV and WWVH will mainly be noticed only by HAMs.

Dana, I’m puzzled by what you wrote. I have 8 clocks and 2 wristwatches that sync with WWVB. When band conditions are poor they miss a sync for a day but still they are good quartz clocks so the time readout is still OK. When the band conditions are good again they sync up once per day usually around 2am (according to the manual for my wristwatch). I can easily tell the sync status on all but 4 of my clocks and they sync successfully about 90% of the overnight times. My wristwatches are Citizen models that charge by solar which is nice since I have a perfectly in sync watch that never needs to be opened to change a battery.

I do like the idea of a GPS to WWVB timecode radio transmitter. I think that would sell well to folks on the fringe of coverage for WWVB such as Florida, Hawaii, and Alaska or other parts of the globe. I’ve found the real limitation to reception of WWVB is local 60kHz noise in the home. For instance if I have a fan running to cool things in my shack then my WWVB clocks will not sync successfully.

I hope Nick Sayer is reading this and getting the idea to make a GPS to WWVB timecode radio transmitter, clever gent that he is. :-)

Best Wishes,
Craig
KI7CRA

David J Taylor via time-nuts
2018-08-13 09:06:14 UTC
From: Craig Kirkpatrick

I do like the idea of a GPS to WWVB timecode radio transmitter. I think
that would sell well to folks on the fringe of coverage for WWVB such as
Florida, Hawaii, and Alaska or other parts of the globe. I’ve found the
real limitation to reception of WWVB is local 60kHz noise in the home. For
instance if I have a fan running to cool things in my shack then my WWVB
clocks will not sync successfully.

I hope Nick Sayer is reading this and getting the idea to make a GPS to WWVB
timecode radio transmitter, clever gent that he is. :-)

Best Wishes,
Craig
KI7CRA

What would be very useful would be if the design could also emulate the UK
MSF transmissions at 60 kHz (simple on/off coding) and perhaps the DCF77
transmissions at 77.5 kHz.

One issue (at least with the UK 198 kHz transmitter) is the unobtainability
of spares such as the high-power valves, I understand. You're right that
many devices rely on these LF transmissions, but so do many FM radios rely
on analogue transmissions which are going, if not already partially gone, in
Europe.

Thanks,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-***@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Dana Whitlow
2018-08-13 09:09:20 UTC
Craig,

The original main reason for WWVB had nothing to do with syncing our
"atomic"
wristwatches and clocks. It was for keeping local frequency standards
honest, for
which continuous coverage throughout the day and night was desirable (if not
always achievable). But for that application, a one-shot daily sync was
not really
good enough (for most users). Stations that used WWVB for serious purposes
used
outdoor electrostatically-shielded loop antennas, usually up on the roof,
to get
enough signal enough of the time.

I'm curious about your fan-related interference. Fans of the kind used for
"cooling"
living space generally use induction motors, which per se have no mechanism
for
generating RFI. However, more modern fans sometimes have digital control
systems, which of course do include built-in RFI generators. I wonder
which variety
you're using.

My Casio watch (module 3405) seems to sync reliably at night if held in a
favorable
orientation through the exercise, but if worn on the wrist at random but
changing
orientation, it often misses. Fortunately mine seems to drift only about 1
sec per
month when "free running", so I now leave auto-sync turned off and just do
a single
forced sync every few weeks when I decide it's getting "too far off" based
on WWV.

Dana

and follow the
Mike Cook
2018-08-13 09:55:09 UTC
> Le 13 août 2018 à 11:09, Dana Whitlow <***@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Craig,
>
> The original main reason for WWVB had nothing to do with syncing our
> "atomic"
> wristwatches and clocks. It was for keeping local frequency standards
> honest, for
> which continuous coverage throughout the day and night was desirable (if not
> always achievable). But for that application, a one-shot daily sync was
> not really
> good enough (for most users). Stations that used WWVB for serious purposes
> used
> outdoor electrostatically-shielded loop antennas, usually up on the roof,
> to get
> enough signal enough of the time.

This function of disseminating a frequency reference is not mentioned at all in the NIST request for information document, nor in Microsemi’s response.
I expect most calibration labs have their own 5071As but that is not quite the same as having a NIST traceability. My Certificate of Calibration from SRS for one of my PRS10 rubidium standards indicates:
« Stanford Research Systems, Inc. certifies that this instrument has been calibrated to manufacturer specifications and accuracy at an ambient temperature of 23° +/- using instruments and standards which are traceable to the National Institute of Standards and Technology. «
I expect the big labs send their instruments of to Boulder for calibration, but there must be some smaller outfits still phase locking off WWVB. We in Europe have MSF, DCF and TDF for which off air frequency references are /were available and which are probably still being used.
How would this frequency traceability work if WWVB/WWVH pass to a private enterprise?

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Craig Kirkpatrick <***@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Bob that shutting down WWVB would not go over well with the
>> voters but losing WWV and WWVH will mainly be noticed only by HAMs.
>>
>> Dana, I’m puzzled by what you wrote. I have 8 clocks and 2 wristwatches
>> that sync with WWVB. When band conditions are poor they miss a sync for a
>> day but still they are good quartz clocks so the time readout is still OK.
>> When the band conditions are good again they sync up once per day usually
>> around 2am (according to the manual for my wristwatch). I can easily tell
>> the sync status on all but 4 of my clocks and they sync successfully about
>> 90% of the overnight times. My wristwatches are Citizen models that charge
>> by solar which is nice since I have a perfectly in sync watch that never
>> needs to be opened to change a battery.
>>
>> I do like the idea of a GPS to WWVB timecode radio transmitter. I think
>> that would sell well to folks on the fringe of coverage for WWVB such as
>> Florida, Hawaii, and Alaska or other parts of the globe. I’ve found the
>> real limitation to reception of WWVB is local 60kHz noise in the home. For
>> instance if I have a fan running to cool things in my shack then my WWVB
>> clocks will not sync successfully.
>>
>> I hope Nick Sayer is reading this and getting the idea to make a GPS to
>> WWVB timecode radio transmitter, clever gent that he is. :-)
>>
>> Best Wishes,
>> Craig
>> KI7CRA
>>
>>> On Aug 11, 2018, at 7:48 PM, Dana Whitlow <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I fear the worst. The line in the website simply stated something like
>>> "shutting down
>>> the transmitters in Colorado and Hawaii", which would seem to include the
>>> whole
>>> enchilada.
>>>
>>> For the wall clocks, GPS should work well if people are willing to go to
>>> battery-
>>> backed AC power. But not so good for wristwatches, where the expectation
>>> is to
>>> run at uW power levels. I for one would be very irritated at having to
>>> take my watch
>>> off my wrist and put it on a charging stand every night. So if this
>>> shutdown comes
>>> to pass, I'll be looking for an inexpensive GPS-to-WWVB converter, or at
>>> least
>>> plans for building one.
>>>
>>> Dana

>> and
>> ***@n1k.org>

> and follow the instructions there.

Don’t worry about how powerful the machines are. Worry about who the machines are giving power to.

jimlux
2018-08-13 12:39:47 UTC
On 8/12/18 8:40 AM, Craig Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I agree with Bob that shutting down WWVB would not go over well with the voters but losing WWV and WWVH will mainly be noticed only by HAMs.

WWV/WWVH also provides HF propagation forecasts, severe weather warnings
for mariners, etc., as well as being a propagation beacon.

I don't think HF communications is completely going away - it's unique
in not requiring any infrastructure to achieve world-wide communications
other than the two endpoints of the link.

It's probably a smaller population than radio amateurs, but there are
people who work with HF propagation on a day to day basis. For example,
if Rocketlabs ever gets their act together and launches a couple more
rockets, I'll have a spacecraft in LEO for which I intend to use WWV and
WWVH as calibration sources.

paul swed
2018-08-13 12:55:19 UTC
Hello to the group. The Chronverter is now available again. US $37.
Its from unusual electronics as was mentioned earlier in the thread.
No matter how 2019 actually goes its a good way to keep the wwvb clocks
going.
Saves me from having to create the same thing.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL

2018-08-13 13:10:31 UTC

Ok, this is Time Nuts. We probably have a pretty good sample of those who use this and that as a source of time.
We also are reasonably conscious about what we are doing. NIST’s claimed reason for running WWV (and WWVH) is to
distribute accurate time and frequency.

Would / does anybody on the list actually use WWV as their *primary* source of accurate time or accurate frequency?

Ok, so how about as a secondary source of time?

Now show of hands …. third tier backup?

I’ll place my votes first …. rarely as a third tier backup. Why? It’s just not good enough any more compared to the other
things I have easily available.

No, I”m not debating how badly we need third or eight tier backups. The question is purely - what is it actually used for?

Bob

Mark Spencer
2018-08-13 13:43:14 UTC
I'll just add:

I got into time nuts after I acquired a GPSDO for checking the frequency accuracy of my amateur radios. I realized I needed a GPSDO when I couldn't figure out if I was seeing drift in my radios frequency standards or Doppler shift from WWV transmissions while using WWV as a frequency reference.

To recap a prior post I do use WWV fairly often as a time source (mostly when I am in "the field") and I have occasionally used WWV as a frequency standard (not withstanding my concerns about Doppler shift.) All of this is for non commercial / hobby use.

Mark Spencer

Aligned Solutions Co.
***@alignedsolutions.com
604 762 4099

and fol
jimlux
2018-08-13 15:04:25 UTC
On 8/13/18 6:10 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ok, this is Time Nuts. We probably have a pretty good sample of those who use this and that as a source of time.
> We also are reasonably conscious about what we are doing. NIST’s claimed reason for running WWV (and WWVH) is to
> distribute accurate time and frequency.
>
> Would / does anybody on the list actually use WWV as their *primary* source of accurate time or accurate frequency?

I don't use WWV (or WWVH) as a source of time/frequency per-se - what I
use it for is as a beacon at a known power, frequency, and antenna
pattern, with (presumably) very good close in phase noise.

The ionosphere has a coherence time of a few seconds, so ADEV of the
source at tau of 10 sec or longer isn't a huge thing for me. But that 1
Hz/1 sec time frame is of real interest.

As the receiver flies over, we get nice soundings "through" the
ionosphere with good performance in the short term.

The usual ionosondes don't have anywhere near the same carrier purity,
and, because they sweep, you have to have good time synchronization of
your super het receiver to make sure you can tune the signal.

With WWV, I can set my center frequency to, say, 10.005 MHz, record 25
kHz BW for several minutes as I fly over and make my measurements. The
"phase noise and ADEV" of my receiver position is very small - zipping
along 500 km at the top of the ionosphere, there's not a lot of bumps in
the road, so it's easy to model the position.

Not for my current spacecraft, but for a future one (SunRISE), we'll be
measuring (post processed) spacecraft position and time to a few ns.
The current one isn't that good - but for this one, we're interested in
the lumps and bumps of the ionosphere, and that's a "over time spans of
<3 seconds" kind of measurement.

That said, if WWV were to turn off tomorrow, I could probably build a
ground beacon with adequate performance to do my science. I don't need
kilowatts of radiated power - it's just convenient that WWV exists and
someone else does it. And in reality, I'd rather have an antenna which
radiates more "up" than "out" - WWV and WWVH are vertical dipoles - good
for skywave propagation, not so hot for vertical sounding.

and follow the instruct
Peter Laws
2018-08-13 13:52:44 UTC
On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 8:10 AM, Bob kb8tq <***@n1k.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ok, this is Time Nuts. We probably have a pretty good sample of those who use this and that as a source of time.
> We also are reasonably conscious about what we are doing. NIST’s claimed reason for running WWV (and WWVH) is to
> distribute accurate time and frequency.

> No, I”m not debating how badly we need third or eight tier backups. The question is purely - what is it actually used for?

I've never posted here and am mindful of the S/N ratio message sent
out this morning but I am glad to see a post like this.

I would be very sad if I could not tune to 10,000,000.000 000 Hz
(usually, but the others occasionally, too, though I haven't copied
the new/old 25-MHz beacon yet) and hear the reassuring beat of WWV.
Given all the garbage on most of the radio bands, amateur or
professional, especially MW, WWV's programming is about the best out
there.

But I don't use them for time. Everything at work is NTP with three
Symmetricom (yep, just old enough) S100s disciplining a set of servers
that users aim at. Occasionally, someone fusses about "needing" PTP
for something or other "because it's better" until we start mentioning
the cost of the hardware and they suddenly decide that NTP is more
than enough. Yes, NTP relies on GPS (and I guess the other GNSSs
these days) for the most part but there are other sources of time out
there that are not GPS based. Dave Mills, W3HCF, included hooks for
WWV receivers in the NTP reference implementation on which most NTP
clients are based, but in all the years I've tinkered with NTP, I
don't ever remember seeing a Stratum 1 advertising that it's
disciplined by WWV.

Some buildings where I work have Primex master clock systems - GPS
receiver -> 72-MHz transmitter -> battery-powered wall clocks. Some
clocks don't get a good signal but that's more a function of who
positioned the master clock (not me!) than a fault with the system
itself.

WWV/WWVH/WWVB never enters into the picture anywhere on campus AFAIK.

As for voters suddenly marching on their Congressmen's office because
their WWVB-disciplined clock no longer keeps time let me ask this: if
WWVB stopped transmitting how many people who have "atomic clocks"
would 1) notice 2) understand that the atomic clock is actually
elsewhere, and 3) that the timecode is sent from a government radio
station on 60 kHz? Most would just say "ah, it's busted" and throw it
out.

I have yet to hear anyone make a case for retaining the HF system that
isn't backed by nostalgia.

As for solar flares taking out the various GNSSs ... wouldn't a solar
flare only take out the vehicles that were on the "sunny" side of the
Earth? Wouldn't the (approximately) half of the SVs that are in the
Earth's shadow be unaffected? Serious technical question - I have no
idea.

and follow the instructions th
jimlux
2018-08-13 19:04:31 UTC
On 8/13/18 6:52 AM, Peter Laws wrote:

> As for solar flares taking out the various GNSSs ... wouldn't a solar
> flare only take out the vehicles that were on the "sunny" side of the
> Earth? Wouldn't the (approximately) half of the SVs that are in the
> Earth's shadow be unaffected? Serious technical question - I have no
> idea.

Actually, it's the particles associated with the solar flare that cause
the problem, and they move substantially slower than the speed of light
(it takes hours to days), and they spread out a lot in time.

There's a plot at the wikipedia page on flares

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_flare#/media/File:ExtremeEvent_20120304-00h_20120317-24h.jpg

You can see the proton flux is spread out over many hours

(I'm project manager for constellation of satellites we're going to
fly to do radio interferometry imaging of the sun at HF for Coronal Mass
Ejections.. time tags are important to us)

Dr. Geophysics
2018-08-14 10:31:51 UTC
An interesting interaction between the near Earth CMEs and the geomagnetic
field leads to some complex results also. Googling Carrington Event will
give some interesting details. The geomagnetic and geoelectric field
monitoring at observatories of CME interaction and associated earth
electrical currents is fascinating.

Is there any numeric code that will model the Newtonian trajectory and CME
geometry given input velocity and mass parameters? These are CME velocity
and mass parameters estimated now and I’ve seen Goddard NASA laboratory
animations which show CME magnetohydrodynamics (?) combined with the
estimated interplanetary trajectories and CME topology and always wondered
if there was, for example, accessible MATLAB or python codes available to
create such estimates. The NASA animations are found on YouTube.

http://dr.geophysics.googlepages.com
and follow the instructions the
Mark Spencer
2018-08-13 10:25:16 UTC
I'm trying hard to think of routine users of WWV / WWVH other than amateur radio operators, time nuts, and the occasional academic / scientific study that uses the transmitters as a signal source.

Perhaps some boaters still use the time signals to set their chronometers, but WWV /WWVH probably wouldn't be my first choice for that application if I had access to GPS.

Perhaps some other users of the radio Spectrum occasionally use the signals as a basic test signal ?

I use the time signals for my amateur radio hobby when I already have an HF receiver and don't want to mess with using GPS as a time source. I only need accuracy within perhaps a third of a second so manually setting a computer clock while listening to WWV works for me.

For my own interest I'd be curious in knowing of other routine uses of the WWV / WWVH time signals.

Mark S
VE7AFZ

***@alignedsolutions.com
604 762 4099

and follow the
Dana Whitlow
2018-08-13 11:24:56 UTC
Note to all;

Be cautious about getting time of day from consumer GPS products. All that
I have encountered
(so far) exhibit T.O.D. errors up to a few tenths of a second, and the
error is not repeatable from
session to session. Some do have PPS outputs, which are typically claimed
to provide usec
level of accuracy, but most do not.

I routinely use WWV to verify correct setting of my WWVB-synced watch and
kitchen clock. I have
occasionally seen severe setting errors, which I attribute to attempts at
syncing in the face of poor
WWVB reception conditions.

My impression is that none of the time codes currently in use by broadcast
NIST time signals
contain forward error correction or even error detection features. If this
is wrong, please somebody
correct me!

BTW, there are a fair number of Heathkit clocks in the wild which use WWV
(as opposed to WWVB)
for syncing. An old college-era housemate with whom I keep in touch owns
and still uses at least
one of them.

Dana

Bob kb8tq
2018-08-13 11:59:10 UTC

> On Aug 13, 2018, at 7:24 AM, Dana Whitlow <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Note to all;
>
> Be cautious about getting time of day from consumer GPS products. All that
> I have encountered
> (so far) exhibit T.O.D. errors up to a few tenths of a second, and the
> error is not repeatable from
> session to session. Some do have PPS outputs, which are typically claimed
> to provide usec
> level of accuracy, but most do not.

… but there *are* modules out there for not a lot of money that do indeed give
quite good PPS (and TOD) information. Picking out the good brands / models
from the junk is part of why you have lists like this one.

> I routinely use WWV to verify correct setting of my WWVB-synced watch and
> kitchen clock. I have
> occasionally seen severe setting errors, which I attribute to attempts at
> syncing in the face of poor
> WWVB reception conditions.
>
> My impression is that none of the time codes currently in use by broadcast
> NIST time signals
> contain forward error correction or even error detection features. If this
> is wrong, please somebody
> correct me!

I believe you will find that the “new” PSK modulation scheme on WWVB has at
least some error detection built into it.

> BTW, there are a fair number of Heathkit clocks in the wild which use WWV
> (as opposed to WWVB)

There aren’t a lot of those left running these days …..

Bob

ewkehren via time-nuts
2018-08-10 20:46:32 UTC
Thank you Magnus I focused on 2017 because of the changes but do not understand because it is a divisionBert

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Magnus Danielson <***@rubidium.dyndns.org> Date: 8/10/18 3:11 PM (GMT-05:00) To: time-***@lists.febo.com Cc: ***@rubidium.se Subject: Re: [time-nuts] NIST

Jwahar Bammi via time-nuts
2018-08-11 20:17:01 UTC
Andy Backus,
Would love to see your microwatt transmitter design, per chance have you posted it anywhere.

cheers,
bammi

Andy Backus
2018-08-11 22:13:41 UTC
Here it is. The only (very slight) innovation is to drive a tuned LC antenna directly from a CMOS chip (greatly reducing harmonics). I had to keep the power very low since in my house it is triggered with a not so distant 60 kHz receiver!

Andy Backus

[cid:66a46aee-7820-459f-823d-ed1f078cd2be]