Hat Creek observatory
Eric Scace
2018-04-25 15:31:24 UTC
Hi —

Does anyone here have contacts with the Hat Creek Observatory?

My partner and I will be in the area Jun 15 Fri afternoon through Jun 18 Mon morning. While reports state the site has a few kiosks for self-tourism, we’re geeky time/frequency, radio & astrophysics types that want to know what’s in all the boxes and how everything works.

Usually that goes better if one can be introduced.

Thanks for any suggestions.

— Eric K3NA
Patrick Barthelow
2018-04-25 20:15:24 UTC
Hi guys,
I live in Auburn CA . About 2 miles from the Chief programmer/software
engineer for Hat Creek.
Hat Creek is east of Redding CA a LONG drive from here, but spectacular
country. Apparently a world renowned Fly Fishing place.
Fly fishermen have told me (I don't fish) that Hat Creek is on a lot of
Fishermen's bucket list.
We met by accident, having been a mile apart for many years. We
occasionally have coffee together; He invited me to come up, and assist in
some rack mounted stuff
that he worked on, with a thermal heating problem. The place is awesome in
many ways.
Isolated; leading edge, super high speed computers fiber optics, currently
41 or 42 dishes, some day to expand on the same site
to 350 in number I have a FB album of the site, interior
and exterior I can send a link.
Take a look:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10202069749135346.1073741863.1535563951&type=1&l=3508e486e9

Had an overnight stay there, after the volunteer work with him. It is
WAY out in the middle of nowhere.. as might be inspected.
If there was a group that wanted to coordinate an insider's tour I could
help arrange that, if it is possible.
In fact, the place has overnight accommodations, kitchen, dining hall, and
a dynamite technical library, etc..
So, let me know Give me a person contact info for the Time nuts group..
and I will see what is possible.
I will have to ask about what exists as precision time equipment there..

Best, 73, Pat Barthelow AA6EG
apol <***@gmail.com>***@gmail.com

*"The most exciting phrase to hear in Science, the one that heraldsnew
discoveries, is not "Eureka, I have found it!" but:*