mailing list moderation, STATUS, May 2018
Tom Van Baak
2018-05-05 17:33:53 UTC
FYI -- you may have noticed that earlier this week we turned off time-nuts list 'moderation'. This means postings now immediately go to the entire group and archives without review or delay [1].

So be extra careful about what you post, and also to whom, and how often. When the list is 'open' like this you may see an increase in posting mistakes, such as html mix-ups, suspect URLs, private email sent to a public list, off-topic postings, blank postings, duplicate postings, admin questions.

In the past year we have seen issues with how some email clients handle replies. Before you hit send, double check the To and Cc lines to make sure there is only one recipient. A public posting or reply to time-nuts should go to time-***@febo.com alone. An off-list personal reply to someone should go to them alone. Any other combination of To/Cc addresses is likely a mistake.

As always on time-nuts, good questions *specifically related to precise time & frequency* are always welcome, especially from newcomers [2]. The list works best when replies are based on our collective experience and actual experimentation, not guesses or quick off-the-cuff comments. The list breaks down when threads veer off-topic, or when time-nuts acts like social media, or when the sheer volume of postings pushes people away. Please do your part to keep the SNR very high on this list.

List administrative questions or comments should go directly to John (***@febo.com) or Tom (***@leapsecond.com) rather than to the entire 1800 member list.

Thanks,
/tvb

[1] Some postings are still held for review: attachments over 1 MB (to prevent big mistakes) and new members (to deal with off-topic or email client issues).

[2] An introduction to time-nuts as well as many helpful links: http://leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm