NTP/PTP to SMPTE
Ryan Stasel
2018-07-04 03:19:02 UTC
Hi All,

I see a couple hits in google for this being discussed before, but they’re being shown as not found on febo.com<http://febo.com>. =/

I’m curious if anyone has done work on getting something like a raspberry pi, Arduino, etc running ntp or ptp (possibly sync’d with a 1PPS signal) and outputting SMTPE over audio, or some GPIO pins. I have a studio clock (Leitch 5225) that can be sync’d over SMPTE (or EBU). I will admit I’m still trying to digest all of this, but this seems like it should be possible.

Basically, I’m trying to make build a DIY master clock similar to one of these: https://www.masterclock.com/products/time-code-generators/gps500

Thanks!

-Ryan Stasel
and follow the instru
Magnus Danielson
2018-07-04 04:40:26 UTC
Post by Ryan Stasel
Hi All,
I see a couple hits in google for this being discussed before, but they’re being shown as not found on febo.com<http://febo.com>. =/
I’m curious if anyone has done work on getting something like a raspberry pi, Arduino, etc running ntp or ptp (possibly sync’d with a 1PPS signal) and outputting SMTPE over audio, or some GPIO pins. I have a studio clock (Leitch 5225) that can be sync’d over SMPTE (or EBU). I will admit I’m still trying to digest all of this, but this seems like it should be possible.
Basically, I’m trying to make build a DIY master clock similar to one of these: https://www.masterclock.com/products/time-code-generators/gps500
Thanks!
OK, it is not too hard to code it up. I did it for IRIG-B, and it's
possible to do for SMPTE 12M LTC code too. Validating it is however
something that needs care.

and follow the instructions
Chris Caudle
2018-07-04 14:19:13 UTC
Post by Magnus Danielson
OK, it is not too hard to code it up. I did it for IRIG-B, and it's
possible to do for SMPTE 12M LTC code too. Validating it is however
something that needs care.
I have used these libraries for generating and synchronizing with SMPTE
time code stored in video files. Currently does not have a tool that
generates timecode continuously based on current time, but if you don't
mind GPL the basics are known working.

https://github.com/x42/libltc
https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools

The ltcgen tool in ltc-tools might be interesting as an example if nothing
else.
--
Chris Caudle

Ryan Stasel
2018-07-05 03:29:26 UTC
Post by Chris Caudle
Post by Magnus Danielson
OK, it is not too hard to code it up. I did it for IRIG-B, and it's
possible to do for SMPTE 12M LTC code too. Validating it is however
something that needs care.
I have used these libraries for generating and synchronizing with SMPTE
time code stored in video files. Currently does not have a tool that
generates timecode continuously based on current time, but if you don't
mind GPL the basics are known working.
https://github.com/x42/libltc
https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools
The ltcgen tool in ltc-tools might be interesting as an example if nothing
else.
Hi Chris,

Yes, I did get those working (at least on an ubuntu VM with X11 running). Seemed to work pretty well, but as you said, not realtime and not contiguous. Obviously directing the output to the audio jack wouldn’t be hard, but seems overly brutish (but I should give it a shot). Maybe just a 1s burst every minute would be plenty to keep the unit sync’d. Again, it only displays to the second, so I’m not looking for high precision from minute to minute, just enough to keep it in some form of “lock step” with reality. =)

Thanks!

-Ryan Stasel
and follow the instructions there
Pete Lancashire
2018-07-04 14:27:36 UTC
I look at all these little projects from two little boards beaglebone black
or the onion 2. I know the beaglebone black is not as cheap but me and how
much is your time worth ? Anyways the clean design one good day. As a home
project easy but as someone else said validation for this guy 200 hours.
With another hundred hours of documentation
Post by Ryan Stasel
Hi,
and f
Ryan Stasel
2018-07-05 03:22:55 UTC
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi,
Post by Ryan Stasel
[...]
Hi Magnus,

Cool. Do you have any example code for IRIG-B you could share? I’m not looking for extremely high level precision since the clock only displays to the second. Just enough to keep from having to reset the clock as it drifts (right now it’s referenced off line frequency, which is “okay” but will drift over the days/weeks/months… not to mention it’s only as accurate as I could set it in the first place. =)

Thanks!

-Ryan Stasel
and follow the inst
Magnus Danielson
2018-07-05 11:27:40 UTC
Hi Ryan,
Post by Ryan Stasel
Post by Magnus Danielson
Hi,
Post by Ryan Stasel
[...]
I have an unfinished project aimed at Linux here:
https://github.com/sa0mad/irigb

John Ackermann N8UR
2018-07-04 12:11:19 UTC
With the recent server move, the Google scan of the time-nuts archive
has out-of-date URLs.

Until Google catches up, you *should* be able to munge Google search
returns by revising the URL: (a) change the domain to "lists.febo.com"
from "www.febo.com" and (b) append "_lists.febo.com" after "time-nuts".

Here's what the new archive URL looks like:

https://lists.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2018-July/093260.html

John

Hal Murray
2018-07-05 09:49:06 UTC
Post by Ryan Stasel
Do you have any example code for IRIG-B you could share?
There is code to generate IRIG-B in util/tg2.c from the classic NTP package.
--
These are my opinions. I hate spam.