Ashtech Z12 question.
Add Reply
Brooke Clarke
2018-05-11 17:18:40 UTC
Hi Mark:

I've found there are two main reasons older equipment stops working.
1. A metal to metal joint that's supposed to be conductive is not. See Hints & Tips: What Goes Wrong:
http://www.prc68.com/I/HaT.shtml#Wgw
The fix is simply to disassemble, cycle all joints a few times and reassemble.
I have a gut feeling that applying oxygen free silicon grease before reassembly might be a real fix, but don't have
enough data to make the claim.

2. Capacitors go bad.  Electrolytic caps essentially become open circuits and can do that without any indication of a
problem.  Other times caps fail and cause very noticeable problems for adjacent components.  So a visual and nasal
inspection is the fist step.  An ESR meter is the second step.
http://www.prc68.com/I/HaT.shtml#CF
--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com

2018-05-11 04:40:41 UTC
Well, my Z12 stopped tracking sats yesterday. It passes all self-tests.
I then replaced the memory backup batteries... it fixed the bootup error
problem, but still won't track sats.
Rats. Is the antenna known to be good? Is the Z12 providing bias on the
antenna cable? Did the Z12 stop tracking right in the middle of the
session with no nearby events or configuration changes? If you can
manually inject DC to the antenna with a bias tee, verify the presence of
signal with another receiver, then feed the signal to the Z12 (or use a
splitter to feed both receivers), that might be worth trying.
2018-05-11 23:55:45 UTC
The "new" Z12 from Ebay came in today. Works fine (except bad memory backup batteries). So antenna, power supply, cables are OK. Replacing the memory backup batteries is fairly easy, except for the gazillion and three screw to open it up. A pair of memory batteries costs around $15.

I need to go over the bad one in more detail and see if I can find any bad caps... I had done a quick in-circuit test before replacing the batteries and did not see anything suspicious. It could also be something on the RF side or oscillator has drifted out of range.