[time-nuts] The "NAKED" 5065A optical unit
c***@juno.com
2018-02-20 01:08:40 UTC
Here is a PIX of the optical unit from a 5065A totally removed from the
shield assembly.

Left to right:

Lamp assy
lamp oven cylinder
lamp reflector/convection block/diffuser
Rb85 filter cell
cell oven cylinder/cavity
Rb87 resonance cell

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Corby
Poul-Henning Kamp
2018-02-20 09:30:54 UTC
--------
Post by c***@juno.com
Here is a PIX of the optical unit from a 5065A totally removed from the
shield assembly.
Nice!
Post by c***@juno.com
Lamp assy
lamp oven cylinder
lamp reflector/convection block/diffuser
Rb85 filter cell
It looks like there is a square filter of some kind
between the reflector and the filter cell ?

I've been thinking a little bit more about power for the lamp assembly.

Since I have the lamp on the bench-supply I am going to plot lamp
voltage vs. photo-I because it looks like a threshold rather than
a linear relationship.

If that is the case, I think it will make sense to give the lamp
its own adjustable voltage regulator (LM317), so the power can be
reduced to what is optimal/necessary without having to take the
lamp apart and change a resistor.

A 1R resistor between the 22-30V supply and the LM317 will make it
easy to monitor lamp current, and a 300mA short-circuit protection
is a nice bonus.

If need be, the regulator could start out at 20V and drop to something
lower in a matter of minutes.

Actually, now that I think about it, I should try to measure if it
is gives better stability if I drive the lamp with constant current,
constant power, constant voltage or constant photo-I...
***@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
and follow the instructions there.
Bob kb8tq
2018-02-20 13:24:03 UTC
Hi

Indeed very cool pictures.

If the lamp is like most gas bulb lights, there is indeed a “strike voltage” required
to get things going (or an RF excitation). There inevitably is some temperature
dependence as well. A constant current driver might be the better bet.

Bob
Post by Poul-Henning Kamp
--------
paul swed
2018-02-20 14:40:49 UTC
Wow on the right, is that the lamp?
Thats one large lamp to light. I am use to the little capsules about the
size of a pr-1 light bulb.
This is a keeper picture.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL
Post by Poul-Henning Kamp
--------
Post by c***@juno.com
[...]
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by
incompetence.
paul swed
Mark Goldberg
2018-02-20 16:36:49 UTC
Post by Poul-Henning Kamp
If that is the case, I think it will make sense to give the lamp
its own adjustable voltage regulator (LM317), so the power can be
reduced to what is optimal/necessary without having to take the
lamp apart and change a resistor.
I don't know anything about these devices, but for TCXOs, the power supply
noise significantly affects the phase noise of the output. An LM317 is not
well specified for noise and I expect is is orders of magnitude worse than
something like an LT3042 low noise regulator.

Regards,

Mark
and follow the instructions there.
Attila Kinali
2018-02-21 15:35:11 UTC
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:36:49 -0700
Post by Mark Goldberg
I don't know anything about these devices, but for TCXOs, the power supply
noise significantly affects the phase noise of the output. An LM317 is not
well specified for noise and I expect is is orders of magnitude worse than
something like an LT3042 low noise regulator.
It's >30dB for broadband noise, according to Gerhard Hoffmann's measurement:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N07/24070698809/in/album-72157662535945536/

Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.
and follow the instructions there.
Poul-Henning Kamp
2018-02-21 15:37:53 UTC
--------
Post by Mark Goldberg
I don't know anything about these devices, but for TCXOs, the power supply
noise significantly affects the phase noise of the output. An LM317 is not
well specified for noise and I expect is is orders of magnitude worse than
something like an LT3042 low noise regulator.
Just to point out that you are rapidly heading down a blind alley from
where this topic started:

I was talking about driving the single-transistor UHF generator which
ionizes the Rb in the lamp, so far I have not even established if
this voltage affects the HP5065 performance in the first place.
Attila Kinali
2018-02-21 15:44:32 UTC
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 15:37:53 +0000
Post by Poul-Henning Kamp
I was talking about driving the single-transistor UHF generator which
ionizes the Rb in the lamp, so far I have not even established if
this voltage affects the HP5065 performance in the first place.
Oops... sorry, I missed that piece of context.
Yes, it is very unlikely that the noise of lamp power supply
would affect anything. At most, I could imagine that the frequency
drift of the lamp oscillator could maybe have some effects, but
even that is rather unlikely or swamped by other disturbances.

Dana Whitlow
2018-02-20 13:49:56 UTC
I'm curious:

Is the lamp RF-excited, or by DC going to internal electrodes?

And if by RF, is the energy coupled in magnetically by a loop,
or by capacitive electrodes?

Thanks,

Dana
paul swed
paul swed
2018-02-20 16:35:41 UTC
Corby
Really appreciate the pix.
Curious. How hard was it to open the oven up and then is it equally
reasonable to re-assemble it.
I will guess its reasonable since you insert the filter into the system.
Really curious do you see the bulb darken as if the RB is plating out?
Thats what I see on older small FE RB's.
Thank you.
Paul
WB8TSL
Post by paul swed
Its RF and mag loop.
c***@juno.com
2018-02-20 18:03:20 UTC
Paul,

You do NOT want to take one apart to this level!

It's never going to operate again.

If you look at the lamp in the PIX you will see a white coil wrapped
around the bulb.

This is the tank for the 90Mhz drive and it sits cocked at a 45 degree
angle.

The lamp assy can be removed easily via 3 small screws and repaired or
modified.

The Lamp circuit is designed to put out a bit higher RF level and once
the lamp starts it drops down a bit.

I would question re-engineering the lamp circuit as it can easily reach
1.5X10-13th at 100 Sec stability and 5X10-14th at 100 Sec. with the
filter mod.

Unless you have a maser or BVA to compare against how will you know if
any modifications are going to help or hurt?

The only thing I replace even if it measures OK is the 1.33K resistor as
it will "crack" eventually and change value.

A 1.3K 5% 1W metal oxide works well.

Cheers,

Corby

and follow the instructions there.
paul swed
2018-02-20 18:10:16 UTC
Corby no intent to rework the bulb.
Its just I have had good success with bulbs from the FE-XXXX series when
they fail to operate by heating the bulb to re-vaporize the "Stuff" that
plates out. Wasn't sure if this would be an approach on the 5065 when that
day comes for mine.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL
Attila Kinali
2018-02-21 15:33:02 UTC
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:03:20 -0800
Post by c***@juno.com
You do NOT want to take one apart to this level!
It's never going to operate again.
Why not? Is there something you had to break to open it up this far?

Scott McGrath

c***@juno.com
2018-02-21 18:06:22 UTC
Attila,

The Child and oven windings were destroyed pulling the oven cylinders out
of the potting.

I suppose you could replicate them and try to repot but I'm never going
to try!

Cheers,

Corby
and follow the instructions there.